Blood tests for chronic fatigue syndrome: article

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome can wait years for diagnoses; biomolecular tests are finally in development.

https://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/blood-tests-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-15723

SunnyK, Ariel, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  2. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"biomolecular tests are finally in development"
    If only.

oldtimer, Michelle, Ron and 17 others like this.
  3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Janet Dafoe announced at a May 2016 Millions Missing rally that "we are only months away from a biomarker".

Aroa, oldtimer, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She also announced that there would be a cure within one year.

Aroa, oldtimer, Ron and 9 others like this.
  5. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which is still technically true, whenever a biomarker materialises.

oldtimer, Amw66, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it though? Many illnesses have biomarkers w/o cures. Disease management with medications yes, but not cures.

oldtimer, Wonko, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  7. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the quote you recall is rather more damning than the one cited by @John Mac

oldtimer, Ariel, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

The article has interviews with Ron Davis, Maureen Hanson and Alain Moreau

Quote:

While there’s currently no simple biological marker for ME/CFS — patients’ routine laboratory tests generally fall within normal values — Hanson emphasized that patients with ME/CFS are biologicallydistinguishable from healthy people. Patients on average show differences in the composition and function of their gut microbiomes, plasma metabolic profiles, autoimmune gene expression, and immune cell function (9–12).

“One problem with developing a marker is that there are lots of differences between individuals,” she said. “It could be that there's a single underlying cause [of the disease], but people's own genetics cause the manifestation of the illness to be different.”

https://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/blood-tests-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-15723

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2023
    oldtimer, Amw66, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  9. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought Hanson's view that you don't need biomarkers to have drug trials was interesting. I assume that you do have to have evidence to support the hypothesis that the drug will work?
    I'm hoping that GWAS will provide clues but I reckon that with a heterogeneous population it may take a number of large GWAS studies - DecodeME may not (itself) be large enough. In Alzheimer's it took large data sets [much larger than DecodeME] to find the second & third significate genes - & dementia may be less heterogeneous than ME!
    Still, found Hanson's views re using drug trials, as a way to make progress, interesting & the example of depression seemed valid --- although the effectiveness of the approved (depression) medications is disputed!

EDIT - I'm hoping that large GWAS studies might provide some insight e.g. even if a gene doesn't initially reach significance then it may still provide support for a particular drug/intervention.
    @Simon M - worth pushing this as a +ve for GWAS i.e. even if genes don't initially meet test for significance the data can be used to assess drugs etc?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    oldtimer, Dolphin, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a good question. Is known efficacy of a drug on a symptom enough evidence? Presumably that's how at least some drugs are applied in trials.

It doesn't seem unusual for it to remain unclear how some drugs work even decades after they were introduced, so the relationship between drug and disease isn't necessarily straightforward. I suspect a lot of discoveries are/were accidental (or serendipitous, to put a slightly more professional-sounding slant on it).

oldtimer, Amw66, FMMM1 and 7 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Essentially all treatments for rheumatoid arthritis were serendipitous until the 1990s when we began to understand mechanisms.

You need either a mechanism rationale or some pragmatic evidence that suggests an effect to justify most trials.

oldtimer, Amw66, RedFox and 12 others like this.
  12. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty decent article. More rigorous than a typical popular article, as it has references. Author actually interviewed people with actual expertise versus interviewing people with large Twitter accounts.

oldtimer, Arnie Pye, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  13. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jonathan --- "You need either a mechanism rationale or some pragmatic evidence that suggests an effect to justify most trials."
    Yea so maybe something like someone with MECFS was treated with X and it appeared to improve, rituximab comes to mind. Also, discussion re TPPP gene, wouldn't necessarily turn up accidentally (since there are no drugs and no biomarker) but as per discussion here* identification via GWAS may be a route to identify potential targets for drugs.

EDIT - another drug that comes to mind is Lithium which is used in manic depression. In the last few years I noticed that researchers had discovered that it changed the shape of a protein - assumed to be its mode of action. So efficacy and mechanism can be discovered decades apart.

*https://www.s4me.info/threads/genet...ential-risk-loci-2022-hajdarevic-et-al.25070/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    oldtimer, obeat and RedFox like this.
  14. DMissa

DMissa Established Member (Voting Rights)

The bottom line with prospective markers is that nothing has been properly revisited and validated in publication since the wave of modern biomarker studies began a handful of years ago. We have many papers finding lab differences that can separate already defined clinical groups. That's only step 1.

What I hope is that people are going back to the same proposed marker measurements that are published and testing them in larger cohorts and with different methods that are more clinically practical than the expensive and expertise- or instrument-demanding assays that we all usually do in research, but because of the potential IP implications of a blood test it is hard to know what's going on behind the scenes. I guess time will tell. I am aware of one group beyond my own that has interesting findings that are trying to be repeated internationally with different instruments and I wish them the best. Otherwise I am in the dark. I just hope the lack of noise is because of people being cautious with their plans rather than not following things up at all.

Maybe not a diagnostic marker but you would need at least some demonstrated basis for underlying mechanism or useful effect. As Jonathan Edwards mentions.

I personally would not want to think about trialing a drug on people unless it has been shown to ameliorate an indicative, well-characterised disease phenotype in an accepted disease model. I don't know that anybody has these things yet. My 2c.

And this is why we need to measure not one but several things concurrently, and to work on either better subtyping or an increased focus on the unique pattern of the individual. David Putrino and Chris Armstrong are also proponents of these ideas. I think it is the way to go.

EzzieD, Mij, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This is where any serious research must start. I have no doubt there are already clues in the literature, but they need to be identified and followed up properly.

Thanks for engaging here. :thumbsup: