1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood pressure monitor for home use – recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Sean, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

Also if you have been traumatized by doctors , you are likely to have a hyperintense version of the already common "white coat syndrome" unlikely that I could ever get a reading at a doctors office that reflects my usual BP

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I reckon I will never be able to see or think about a BP monitor without thinking ah the Moron

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I got the Omron HEM-8712. (Who knew morons come in different models? I, of course, got the most basic one. :jimlad: )

Did have to fork out extra for the larger cuff, coz apparently I have fat arms. :rolleyes:

Omron use 'intelli-sense', which limits the cuff inflation, so it is not uncomfortable to use, just a bit tight at its peak pressure, which is only for a few seconds.

Seems to work well. Getting fairly consistent results. Nearly always between 100-120/65-85, with pulse between 60-100. Which I am happy with.

Will take the machine with me when I next visit the GP and check it against his machine and also a manual reading. But assuming my home readings are accurate, then there is definitely a white coat effect for me of around 5-10 points higher for readings in the clinic.

Thanks for advice and comments. :thumbup:

4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our GP has 2 Omrons which are used by patients for a week at home to try and address white coat syndrome.

You put your name on a list.
    It's used where it's thought there may be a problem, and if there is intermittent use is encouraged if people can't/ don't have a monitor of there own.

As these are the same model as GPs and serviced by them it it consistent.

It may be other GPs have a similar system which light be a way to try one out in the first instance.

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks everyone for the comments on this thread. I've just discovered that if I give home machine readings they won't make me drag my carcass to the surgery for blood pressure checks. Nothing wrong with my blood pressure (apart from.when they wind me up!), but if I wanna keep my meds it's gotta be done.

Based on comments and price I've gone for a Moron M3 Comfort. And I actually searched for Moron :facepalm: :oops:.

There's a new model M3 out so I managed to bag a good discount in an the old model which should do me.

Yessica, hinterland, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  6. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We bought an Omron M3 Comfort a couple of years ago and have been pleased with it. The Comfort cuff seems to result in more stable readings than our older Omron, which had a traditional wrap around cuff. It's quieter, too, than the older one, which is helpful as we are all three of us "white-coat" and just hearing someone else inflate a machine will make my BP rise. I think you'll be pleased with it.

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know how up-to-date this site is, but this link (from the British and Irish Hypertension Society) may be helpful :

https://bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/

Invisible Woman and Sean like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The M3 device arrived today. I've already had a go & it's very easy to use. Also can be configured to store readings for two different people if that's needed (I don't).

I'm happy with it. Especially as I got money off because there's a new model out. :thumbup:

Arnie Pye, Sean and Trish like this.