1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Spoonseeker, "An Offer You Can’t Refuse"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://spoonseeker.com/2018/01/28/an-offer-you-cant-refuse/

JohnM, Hutan, alktipping and 22 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sometimes appears that the UK's mental health provision is merely an extension of homeopathy-like will cure like.

Squeezy, Viola, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One gets the impression the people running the asylum are crazier than the inmates in some ways.

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

English speakers, please help me out here: what is the word for disrespecting patient autonomy? (when a no is not respected, and patients are pushed or even forced to do things they clearly did not want to do).

alktipping, MEMarge, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

....not sure @strategist ....

You could say they "ride roughshod" over the patient. Meanig to treat harshly, domineer, override.....

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Patronizing, condescending, paternalism, coercion, duress.

alktipping, Viola, Squeezy and 6 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Generically, imposition of treatment would cover it but perhaps doesn't suggest quite what you are looking for?

8. chrisb

Coercive?

9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Subjugation"?
    "Paternalism"?
    "Loss of self determination"?
    "Enslavement"?

alktipping, Inara, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oppressive?
    Dictatorial?
    Authoritarian?

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

routine?

Hutan, alktipping, TiredSam and 15 others like this.
  12. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't read the article but the premise seems correct, refuse and you face loss of or inability to get disability benefits meaning being put out on the streets where we would not survive long (unless we are lucky enough to have generous families who can help us), children kidnapped by the state based on lies and victim blaming and the prevention of progress toward real research and a treatment.
    And then they have the gall to say they are not responsible for the consequences of their actions :emoji_face_palm:

13. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

Mathew Hopkins as witch finder general offered similar choices, when carrying out investigations.

alktipping, Inara, Squeezy and 7 others like this.
  14. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many of my terms are not suitable for the forum, though the term childcatcher has been used by some.

All excellent terms for the next NICE meeting and/or useful for any letters to Prof Mark Baker from S4ME before he retires.

alktipping, Inara, Squeezy and 4 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reminded me of Derick Wade's response to PACE at the SMC:

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...reatments-for-chronic-fatigue-syndromeme-2-2/

16. chrisb

Well; he was from Oxford. And what a fine example of "newspeak" the "Enablement Directorate" is.

With the SMC it is hard to be sure whether it is the grasp of science or language which is unusual.

"The study made the first definitive comparison of various treatments for CFS/ME..."

Arnie Pye, Esther12, Inara and 6 others like this.
  17. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ensuring that the word reablement is not applicable to people with ME was a key point raised at our table at the NICE workshop.

GOSH (Great Ormond St Hsp) were never able to explain directly to me why their services were referred to as "Rehabilitation" though I raised the question several times. I guess they knew I would outline why that was so inappropriate.

Oh yea my daughter's at the rehab clinic sends the wrong message in SO many ways

18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just read the blog at the start of this thread. It is heartbreaking and shocking that patients with physical illnesses are being treated this way when they are wrongly put in a mental health facility. What happened to listening to the patient. Apparently once you get a mental diagnosis, the staff feel they have the right to 'know better'.

I think Nigel Speight's response is important. He is emphasising the importance of getting a correct diagnosis, which we would all agree with, but the important thing he is saying is 'don't ask for treatment'.

I think what he means by this is, don't ask for ME/CFS treatment, because if you do, you are likely to be set on the path of CBT/GET/treatment refusal going on your record.

This is what he says:
    Perhaps, at least in the UK at present, it's more productive to seek treatment for individual symptoms - sleep, pain etc. rather than for the overall illness.

19. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's horrifying.

20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Disregard?