1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Not the Science Bit: "Psychology is (not?) fine"

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Blog by @Brian Hughes
    https://notthesciencebit.net/2018/11/08/psychology-is-not-fine/

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent, especially the book launch.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Brian Hughes, I am reading 'Psychology in Crisis' with great interest. It is the first book I hope to finish for a number of years. Brain fog means difficulty in integrating information over longer sections of text, so each chapter has to be reread several times. Currently about a month in and on Chapter 5.

As someone with ME I really value your challenging of the appalling science that is harming so many people, though as a psychology graduate it is really depressing that you have to address an ongoing complacency about methodological problems well known over forty years ago.

Hopefully your work will be a catalyst for real change.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm really hoping the good psychologists and psychiatrists will see the mounting problems of letting a fringe minority of quacks harming the reputation of their profession.

This rise of magical thinking is bad for everyone and may usher in a serious crisis of confidence in those two specialities' ability to regulate themselves.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me really hoping too.

6. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

This rise of magical thinking is bad for everyone and may usher in a serious crisis of confidence in those two specialities' ability to regulate themselves.[/QUOTE]

andypants, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.