1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: NMOSD – A Rare Autoimmune Disease Personal Story, by Leda Bresnov

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"In 2018 without warning, apart from numbness in my fingers and later numbness on part of my face over the course of 24 hours, I woke up in a hospital bed with the left side of my body paralyzed and having lost 80% of my vision.

After being hospitalized for 4 months, I was diagnosed with Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD). NMOSD is a rare neuroimmune condition in which the immune system attacks cells in the central nervous system (CNS), mistaking them for foreign invaders. Common symptoms include vision loss, color vision deficiency, paralysis, paraparesis, weakness, numbness, spasticity, vomiting, hiccups, and bladder/bowel dysfunction.

Comparing my experience with other NMOSD patients, my diagnosis and start of treatment happened quickly. And now I receive IV treatment every six months, to help suppress my immune system and to help prevent any future relapses."

More at https://www.efna.net/nmosd-a-rare-autoimmune-disease-personal-story-leda-bresnov/

Trish likes this.