1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: ME/CFS Skeptic: 2022: "Looking back at a year of ME/CFS research"

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"As 2022 is closing, it is time for our annual tradition where we look back at the most interesting scientific studies on myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) of the past year.

The yield for 2022 is far from impressive but there were a couple of interesting ME/CFS studies that are worth discussing. A recurrent theme seems to be problems with the transport (or utilization) of oxygen into tissues. It will be interesting to see if this hypothesis will receive further support in 2023."

https://mecfsskeptic.com/2022-looking-back-at-a-year-of-me-cfs-research/

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was an impressive writeup! Very well written and easy to understand. Thank you!

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. To be honest I'm not the best at dissecting biomedical studies. Much of the biology and techniques goes over my head. But I thought an overview of the most significant studies of 2022 would be useful for others, even if we could only briefly summarise the findings without explaining them much further.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2023
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great that you're doing this, am gonna read through the entire thing tonight or tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

6. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @ME/CFS Skeptic. I’ve struggled to keep up with things this year, and have forgotten quite a bit of what I’ve read, so this was really helpful, and very well written, as always. It is also a sober and welcome counter to some of the absurdly over optimistic and/or overhyped claims that seem to be made with increasing frequency on social media and beyond.

Thanks again, and happy new year to you, and to everyone on here. Let’s hope 2023 is a better one for ME/CFS research and for the world in general.

7. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for this!

Under the section about blood clots, one could substitute the term "ME" for "Long COVID", in the Guardian article about desperate patients trying unfounded "treatments". Very familiar stuff.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    MSEsperanza, DokaGirl, Hutan and 2 others like this.