1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: "Even the Ethics Committee says the PACE authors should share the patient-level data, so why does PLOS ONE not enforce its regulations...

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Even the Ethics Committee says the PACE authors should share the patient-level data, so why does PLOS ONE not enforce its regulations and compel them to? by some bloke called @JohnTheJack

https://johnthejack.com/2019/02/17/...t-enforce-its-regulations-and-compel-them-to/

Skycloud, Lisa108, Chezboo and 29 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm guessing there is an "l" missing here, "was a pubic document"?

Lisa108 and JohnTheJack like this.
  3. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Been reported & sorted.

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A really good FOI requesty @JohnTheJack.

This is so very true to form. The authors only mentioning the bit of the REC response they want people to know about, and nothing at all about the bit they don't want anyone to know about. The FOI act was made for these sort of people. So the REC also said:

"It is suggested that the researchers and the patient interest group should between them agree upon an academic institution (or possibly an independent researcher) whom both sides would trust. That institution would then receive the anonymised data and produce a report."

Given their track record for obfuscation and misleading, I would never trust the authors themselves to summarise data for subsequent reanalysis.

Lisa108, Mithriel, Sly Saint and 13 others like this.
  5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Barry. Yes, I thought their quoting of the REC was very partial and indeed misleading.

Cheshire, Mithriel, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  6. JohnTheJack

Hehe. Oops.

Andy likes this.
  7. Barry

It is what I see over and over in so many of these ME/CFS BPS proponents, and is a form of deception I have seen in other people. Telling partial truth in order to strongly imply untruth; it seems second nature to many such people, and allows them to say they have not actually stated an untruth. It is why in a court of law the oath is to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

An imaginary example I sometimes use is if someone goes round accusing a person of deliberately swerving their car onto the pavement and injuring their dog, observing that person never liked their dog anyway. A very effective smear campaign could be waged with that, and it could be completely true. But what if they deliberately withheld from telling people that a child ran into the road, and was only saved by the car swerving onto the pavement. Lying by omission is very real, and it's not about listeners being gullible, but simply about them being trusting.

Chezboo, Binkie4, Mithriel and 12 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Barry

Are we planning to follow this is up in some way? Because the more MS and Co strive to block independent analysis of PACE data, the more suspicious I get there is stuff the authors are absolutely desperate to keep hidden away.

If the REC's suggestion were followed up on, and the authors still resisted even engaging in the process, that would be a big tell in itself, for all to see.

A hypothetical question, but I see as really important to understand. Just supposing (and remember I'm saying hypothetical), that one or two PACE participants had bad reactions to GET let's say, and that these data were recorded, but not adequately pulled into the statistical analysis. That would be vitally important to assessing the veracity of the PACE author's analysis of their finding, but would also have the potential to indirectly identify those people even if the data were anonymized, given only one or two of them. Yet if the data made publicly available data were only summarised, would the crucial information then get lost? Is it possible to achieve the required anonymity, whilst still achieving the necessary information content regarding the harm, in this example. There could of course be all manner of such outlier data that might be invaluable to analyses, but be an issue for indirectly compromising anonymity.

I really do think that given the REC have themselves suggested a way for independent analysis of further PACE data, there should be some endeavours to pursue that.

ladycatlover, Lisa108, inox and 4 others like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The records for adverse reactions could be interesting. The safety claims could be just as false as the improvement and recovery claims.

The adverse reaction assessment was done by people who believed that the intervention couldn't do harm and that patients were merely reacting hysterically to ordinary postexertional tiredness. We also know that the criteria for adverse reactions were tightened after the trial had started.

11. JohnTheJack

My understanding is that the MRC is still working on this and is expecting that it will be available this year.

12. JohnTheJack

I think this may open the door to something and and am mulling over doing something about it.

I also have a couple of FOI requests for the data in fairly advanced positions.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They will never allow an independent reanalysis for that reason. Furthermore, that's not how any of this works. Scientists can't cherry-pick people to "independently" analyse their work. That makes a mockery of the scientific method and is a sure display of consciousness of guilt. This is exactly like Trump calling Mueller's investigation a "witch hunt", it's obvious guilty behavior.

Truth is they have no reason whatsoever to deny making the data available to any academic and the data that were already shared have only lead to one outcome: proving they exaggerated and misrepresented their work. Nothing else happened other than their dishonesty being revealed. We have the trial meeting group notes in which they specify that they allocated the resources to make the data available, properly anonymized. The work has already been done to make it available (unless their own notes are misleading).

Tuller's letter signed by 100 academics and clinicians already made the call for independent reanalysis. It has been rejected, as prior requests have been. The HRA letter doesn't really change that, although obviously the demand should be reiterated but with notice that this is the nth demand to do so. It is absolutely not normal for scientists to spend so much effort hiding their data and this should be strongly emphasized.

But PACE authors will never agree to anyone "we" could propose. I'm not even sure how that would work in the first place, who would make the selection of an independent panel. "We" are not organized enough to make that so the HRA's position is a bit bizarre in that regard, since it doesn't really translate well on the circumstances. Independent academics have made the request and they were arbitrarily rejected. This is bad enough on its own to rouse all the suspicions.

That and their paper at PLOSOne already contractually obligates them to share the data anyway.

14. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't seem to open pdf-file. Anyone else has this problem or a way to fix it? Many thanks in advance

15. Barry

I had the same trouble, but was OK if I downloaded it first then opened it from disc. Attaching it here anyway, assuming this is the one you mean.

Edit: You will still need to download first by the look of it, or maybe try a different browser, I'm using Chrome.

Attached Files:

ME/CFS Skeptic likes this.
  16. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, Barry.

I usually open pdf's in chrome instead of adobe reader and think that might've got something to do with it. When I opened it with Adobe and downloaded/accepted the Flash content, all went fine.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Barry likes this.
  17. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think the REC are setting a dangerous precedent in that is say a drug company were to have a questionable drug then they could whip up some controversy and then claim that its to controversial to share data. But I guess the REC isn't like a court with case law instead they just pick and choose the ethics to fit their views.

Of course transparency is a good way of dealing with controversy and keeping data hidden like the REC recommends is probably the worst thing they could do in helping create trust.

When reading this we should remember that the HRA gave PACE a clean bill of health over transparency. I can't help thinking that the HRA are misleading parliament in their letter.