1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blockade of Exosome Generation with GW4869 Dampens the Sepsis-Induced Inflammation and Cardiac Dysfunction

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by junkcrap50, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Emphasis mine.

2. junkcrap50

perhaps there might be viral-infected macrophages doing the same thing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Ron and Andy like this.
  3. junkcrap50

From the introduction of the paper:
    Seems like sphingomyelin is important in exosome release.

Hoopoe, Ron and Andy like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely this could only ever be a holding action?

My, limited, understanding is that these things will keep being produced, that the only thing that stops that normally is death.

So all blocking them can achieve is buy time, sometimes that time might allow things to resolve but surely a lot of the time it's just prolonging things?

A bit like trying to stem someone bleeding out with a transfusion, unless the dirty great hole is fixed all you're doing is delaying things.

And in most cases they don't seem to have a clue what a metaphorical 'hole' is let alone how to fix it.

Andy, alktipping and andypants like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately the data on sphingomyelin in ME/CFS is currently contradictory. One study found low levels, another high levels. This could be due to the technology still being unreliable or some other problem. So we don't know how sphingomyelin moves in this illness, or if it's even much different.

adambeyoncelowe, Andy and andypants like this.
  6. junkcrap50

I'm not suggesting this will be a fix for ME/CFS disease. Maybe it could be. Perhaps it could "hold" long enough so that, if you believe in Ron Davis's or Nancy Klima's theory, our body can "reset" itself and get us out of some metabolic trap. Who knows.

Initially the paper looked interesting because it showed an exosome-driven mechanism of sepsis (which according to several researcher accounts ME/CFS resembles) and can control severity of sepsis. So it could possibly provide an explanation for ME/CFS.

But this research may also help in Ron Davis's testing of the nanochip. If this drug GW4869 blocks the "something in the blood" and can turn ME/CFS serum into "normal looking/working" serum on the different cells they test, then it would lend credence to the exosome theory. It would just be 1 more drug for them to test on the chip.

Andy likes this.