1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bitter Gourd

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by erin, Jul 23, 2018.

1. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel I need to share this somehow; I had terrible stomach spasms past three days. I did not eat anything out of ordinary. I have a very strict gluten and dairy free diet. I also am not able to eat most vegs and fruit due to upset stomach and intestinal problems. This has been the case for me for a long time. So, I'm super careful but I had this nausea, indigestion and very bloated and spasmic tummy past 3 days. I was not able to eat anything and lost further pounds and looking terrible.

My neighbour is such a lovely lady, she feels so sorry for me. She's the only person genuinely aware the scale of my suffering. I live rural, she's been here all through her life and knows the flora and herbs very well. Today she gave me a bitter gourd and insisted that I eat it and suck the seeds then spit as they are poisonous.

I did this and it really helped that I was able to eat some dinner. I mean proper dinner, a good portion. It felt so nice, I was almost in tears. I felt the nausea was gone instantly and I felt hungry first time in 3 days. I still feel a little bloated and very slight pain but it is nothing to complain for me.

Another thing, within minutes eating the fruit my nose started running like river. So much saliva like clear but sticky stuff came out of my nose. (sorry about gross detail). It cleared in 20 minutes completely. I also feel my head is a bit clearer, also noticed that I must have had a neck pain. My neck felt much more comfy after a while.

I didn't bother to go to hospital, I tried in the past I was given omeprozole and sent home. But this really worked. She picked the fruit fresh from her garden and I ate within minutes. Tomorrow I'm going to local market to buy some more. I will keep the seeds to plant them next year.

I just wanted to share this.

2. erin

Apparently bitter gourd has anti-viral properties and used for herpes simplex and HIV.

http://www.superfoods-scientific-research.com/superfoods/antiviral-effects-of-bitter-melon.html

http://www.tropilab.com/momordica-cha.html

I'm in my 3rd day of eating bitter gourd. I eat half a fruit every day; 1 quarter before breakfast and the other quarter before dinner. I will do this for 40 days. My nausea is reduced drastically so far. Still slightly bloated, but not as bad as it used to be. Still have the pain.

ps. I've realized second link is an ad, should I delete it? Not so sure what to do.

3. erin

Still on bitter gourd. I stopped all medicine for GI problems. It is working. Less brain fog and it helped with the recent horrid flu. First time I didn't have lung problems with a flu and recovered with paracetamol only.

Still on thyroxine, bblocker and anti histamine. 3 daily medicine is better than 11.

Blood tests came out ok, cholesterol is dropped to 214 for the first time. Energy levels are not too bad either.

Most annoying symptom I have now is numb right leg and on and off dermatitis.

Unfortunately bitter gourd is seasonal and this must be the last week that I could get a hold on fresh ones. I made a jar of olive oil soaked fruit to use until next summer. I fear that it's not going to be as effective as the fresh ones.

4. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm glad you are so much better with the bitter gourd. I've never heard of it, much less seen it.

MEMarge, alktipping, Squeezy and 4 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad it's helping @erin. Now and again old remedies turn out to really work, and modern science eventually catches up. Who knows, maybe this is such case.

MEMarge, Hutan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  6. erin

Here how it looks. It tastes like bitter cucumber, bit more crunchier than cucumber. Red seeds are in a very sweet, honey like gel. Never eat the seeds but the red gel like substance is very good to eat. I actually don't find the fruit bitter maybe got used to it. I actually enjoy eating it. Today I could find some bitter gourd in the local market. It is very out of ordinary as they normally disappear in Beginning of november. It has been incredibly mild over here and the farmer said he never had it grown at the end of November before. But he said this was definitely the last batch this year, I won't be able to find any next week.

[​IMG]

7. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @erin. It's a beautiful plant.

8. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The seeds look rather like pomegranate. But you can crunch up the seeds in the flesh of that of course. We have an international supermarket near us (on Lodge Lane for anyone in Liverpool) that has won prizes. OH shops there sometimes, so I'll ask him to enquire if they ever have bitter gourd - it would be interesting to try, even if just out of curiosity. When driving past it always looks wonderful, with boxes and boxes of fresh fruit and vegetables displayed outside. I'd love to shop there myself but suspect it would be a bit too complicated.

[​IMG]

Oh, there's a super blog post here from a Blogger that I follow, with lots of photos.

MEMarge, erin and Trish like this.
  9. erin

@ladycatlover, lucky to have such a market in Liverpool. It looks great.

I saw bitter gourd in Asians markets in UK all the time. They are green and a bit longer and thinner, but it shouldn't matter, same properties. I will definitely try fresh ones when I'm back to UK.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    ladycatlover likes this.
  10. erin

Still ate bitter gourd, gave a huge break between last December and July. ( does not grow between these months) Back on August up to now. I definitely feel that my energy levels are better and I digest better when I'm on bitter gourd. I only had to stop for a week when I had the pain and runs after B12 injection. Something about this fruit feels like inflammation is gone in general.