1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bipolar disorder and ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Woozy, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Woozy

Woozy Established Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone got or had bipolar disorder or a neurophychiatric disorder? If so, do you think your ME/CFS caused it? I had paranoid thoughts and some hallucinations around 10 years ago (20 years after getting ME/CFS) and diagnosed with BD. I often wonder if it was caused by the ME/CFS or is something distinct from it. I am ok at present and on 20mg Aripiprazole.

DokaGirl, FMMM1, Ash and 2 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know but am often struck by symptom overlap with Parkinson's / Alzheimer's ( which both can feature hallucinations and paranoia) , which is reinforced by some people responding to dopamine modulating medication, so there may be a mechanism / shared symptom pathway.
    This may be more evident during PEM

Bipolar used to be often misdiagnosed as schizophrenia - particularly in females and there has been recent GWAS research into these disorders which have found various genetic associations which would account for symptoms .

There is a heritable aspect to many neuropsychiatric conditions and genetic research tends to explore both this aspect and drug targeting areas .

Given the wide variety of symptoms , these genes are across multiple areas / pathways and there is, perhaps unsurprisingly, an overlap with genetic research for other conditions which have wide symptom ranges.

Given the wide symptom range in ME there may be a genetic overlap with many conditions , which may have some relevance. ( offering hope for shared research and for drug repurposing /development)
    I think there may be genetic predisposition for many things , it's a trigger that's needed to activate a process .

As genetic studies become both more commonplace and start to drill down , we might be able to unravel a bit more .
    Hopefully Decode ME will be the beginning of something

MEMarge, DokaGirl, Ash and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have not seen any research or hypothesis by scientists suggesting any connection between bipolar disorder and ME/CFS. Though, as Amw66 says, there could be some genetic predisposing factors.

I am not aware of any symptom overlaps in the diagnostic criteria of the two conditions that would suggest any common pathway of causation.

Of course I'm not an expert, so I'm just commenting based on what I have learned as a lay person. There's plenty I don't know.

Statistically there will be some people with both disorders even if their occurrence is completely biologically independent.

MEMarge, DokaGirl, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  4. Woozy

Thanks for the comments. I do wonder why I went a bit mad at 44 years of age (I am ok now) and not in my youth if I have a distinct independent illness called BD. I would have thought that I would have had BD earlier but then I just don't know. I am fine now (at the moment at least).

MEMarge, Hutan, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe you've been misdiagnosed? It's very common!

MEMarge, DokaGirl, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  6. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s an interesting question @Woozy.

I don’t know if ME causes those symptoms or not. If it does it would be a less common symptom pattern. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t cause these symptoms, or couldn’t cause them. Everybody is different and has different responses and susceptibility and variations of biology.

I’ve heard quite a few people report increased paranoia and visual disturbances that might be considered hallucinations, though also may not be, as well as less often reports of full blown hallucinations.

I think mostly these have been reported at the outset of illness in the acute phases, or at a time of severe illness during infection. So it may be infection caused these symptoms directly and also triggered or exacerbated ME processes. So not the ME.

It could also be another co-occurring condition. Like thyroid dysfunction which can make you hallucinate and suffer paranoia.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    DokaGirl, alktipping, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  7. Woozy

what do you mean?

DokaGirl likes this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing - I know a few people who have a psychiatric diagnosis & disabling fatigue.

MEMarge, Ash and DokaGirl like this.
  9. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm a layperson but I'd be a little careful. Firstly an ME/CFS diagnosis says you haven't been diagnosed with a identified/known illness - no biomarker. Secondly, I think it's pretty difficult to accurately diagnose neuropsychiatric illnesses- no biomarker(?). Thirdly if your sleep is disturbed then would that present as a neuropsychiatric illness?
    So there's a lot of uncertainty here!

10. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - that's what I meant, @Woozy, - sorry if it wasn't clear.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    alktipping and Ash like this.