1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of single glass of wine a day debunked

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Art Vandelay, Nov 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having had to give up drinking due to severe alcohol intolerance from my ME, it seemed obvious to me that many teetotal because they are already in poor health. I'm not surprised to see that the supposed benefits of moderate drinking are illusory.

Once again we have a case of a myth being perpetuated because scientists confused correlation with causation.

I'm glad to see some researchers are still capable of asking the right questions.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Dolphin, rainy, Ash and 22 others like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i always saw that as marketing rather than a proven fact .marketing/advertising is responsible for so much false information but as a society we cannot escape it the steady drip just invades our thoughts and makes many people reiterate it without any thought to where these sayings originated.

Dolphin, rainy, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  3. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure I once heard them recommend 2 glasses at one point. Being an addictive type personality due to emotional instability at times, one drink a day would most likely have turned into a drinking problem for me.

rainy, Ash and alktipping like this.
  4. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A new and contradictory study appears to be published every few months - compare with benefits of statins. We usually have a small glass of red with our evening meal every day (but never any more than one per day); we've recently reduced that to three times a week, but only because of new tablets my husband is prescribed. We've decided that the ten minutes of pleasure a small glass provides outweighs any potential negative effects.

rainy, alktipping, Ash and 3 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Oh bugger.