1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Belfast Newsletter: ‘We must keep believing science will catch up with ME.'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MeSci, Dec 22, 2017.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Belfast Newsletter: ‘We must keep believing science will catch up with ME. There is real hope’ | 22 December 2017

Belfast Newsletter, 21 December, 2017, by John McDaid.

“I think that we have not cared for people with M.E. to a great enough extent. I think it is correct to say that we have not established proper health care services for these people, and I regret that.”

This was the unprecedented public apology issued by Bjørn Guldvog of the Norwegian government in 2011 to sufferers of ME, also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Tragically, in most other countries sufferers of this invisible and devastating illness remain cast adrift. In some cases, they are told that they are depressed or that their doctor “doesn’t believe in ME.”

My family heard that firsthand. With no known cause, treatment or cure, ME has been described as the last major disease we know almost nothing about.

I knew nothing about ME in 2012 when my younger brother got sick. Paul was a healthy, happy 33 year old, but that summer he came down with a chest infection which he couldn’t shake off.

[​IMG]
    Paul McDaid with his partner, Ciara.

Within a month or two he became seriously ill, unable to speak or listen to anything beyond a whisper.

More at http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-with-me-there-is-real-hope-22-december-2017/

MEMarge, Dolphin, AliceLily and 6 others like this.