1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC Sport: Channel swimmer Beth French on jellyfish, living with ME and her autistic son

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jul 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/49083125

DokaGirl and MEMarge like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Strange story. I'm glad for her she's found what helps. My only attempts to go swimming when my ME was mild led to extremely rapid exhaustion, pain and PEM.

rvallee, Annamaria, Hoopoe and 4 others like this.
  3. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Swimming is much too aerobic for me to be able to handle. I can do floating and very slow short swims, but otherwise it’s a no-go. Like cycling or jogging....
    I used to do triathlons before I got sick.
    Now I get cramps in my abdomen just with keeping upright in a car.

rvallee, Annamaria, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oh that’s it then we all need scaring witless by a shark and we’re going to be fine...........

ukxmrv, Trish, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw that and wondered about posting it. I thought I probably could not be trusted.

But at last, she knows what is her trigger - "emotional, hormonal and psychological stress", something she now has the tools to cope with after ordaining as a Buddhist nun in Thailand and studying "intensive forms of meditation".

Nothing about PEM then. Her diagnosis may have been correct, but, if so, the sub-group to which she belongs is not a large one.

Good of the BBC to spread the message.

rvallee, Annamaria, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

To be fair she attributes that encounter with triggering a downturn in her health.
    What prompted me to post it was that the article uses ME prominently, and that it talks about finding a way to cope with her trigger, not with the illness itself, although I accept that will probably be too nuanced for the average, non-pwME, reader.

Should anybody want to then they can listen to the original interview here, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07hlqq5

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Oh dear heat induced befuddlement made me misread that - ie not didn’t register - and I had in mind the other thread about people recovering after accidents.

Annamaria, Rick Sanchez, Andy and 2 others like this.