1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC Radio Northampton phone-in with Charles Shepherd

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MeSci, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Russell Fleming @Action for M.E.
    Indicates how much has to be achieved in educating GPs and medics as written by a GP.
    Perhaps a letter to the Northern Echo from an ME charity ( or both) to set the record straight is warranted?

2. Amy101

Amy101 Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve left a comment on there as have others. Hopefully the person who wrote it will read them, and even if he chooses not to listen or believe what people have said, at least the comments are there for the public to see. It’s just ridiculous that in this day and age there is still so much ignorance!

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article feels kind of parasitic, riding on the back of such a very genuine and very sad event, to promote GET and CBT-a-la-PACE - what a travesty, what an insult. To me it is not just about which GP wrote it, but more about who/what motivated them to write it.

4. Action for M.E.

Action for M.E. Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for flagging this up @Amw66, and sorry I didn't see it sooner. Current capacity within my team dictates that I am not able to check this forum as often as I would like; I hope this improves soon.

adambeyoncelowe and MEMarge like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Barry and MeSci like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While it is good when an official cause of death is given as ME we all know that it should be listed as a secondary cause at least on the death certificate of every one who had ME and the only reason it isn't is because of the politics of the disease.

Very few people with MS die of MS itself, in fact most people with cancer don't die from the cancer but because of pneumonia. But when someone has been bedridden with ME for 20 years but it is not included on the death certificate it is ludicrous.

I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. If I was well, I would be cooking very healthy meals (My diet is good when I am well enough to make it but I take what I get when I am too ill) I would love to exercise, to go swimming every day, join a gym but I sit or lie about all day.

Whatever kills me, it would be beyond stupid to think the lifestyle imposed on me did not contribute.

ukxmrv, AliceLily, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Until recently dementia wasn’t very often recorded as cause of death often pneumonia would be the immediate cause. we need to find out what happened to change that. Wondering if it would be worth me writing to Alzheimer’s charities to ask?

Skycloud, Inara and Wonko like this.