BBC Radio 4: The Truth Police

Discussion in 'Other research methodology topics' started by Sly Saint, May 12, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Truth Police - BBC Sounds

MEMarge, EzzieD, Frankie and 8 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Good program as far as it went. Some familiar names interviewed including Stuart Ritchie and Nick Brown who do some of the investigating, and Dorothy Bishop commenting on the importance of it.

They say lots of scientists agree there should be funding for this kind of checking, but nothing ever gets done about funding bodies providing funding.

Asked why they go public with their criticisms, one of them explained that when they find problems in published papers and contact the author, they get no response, when the contact the University or the Journal they get a polite response saying they will look into it, followed by no further response. He said the finding the problems is the easy part - finding anyone who cares enough to do something about it is much harder.

That fits with what David Tuller (@dave30th) and others have found when raising problems with ME papers - finding the problem and raising it is just the beginning.

MEMarge, Forestvon, cassava7 and 22 others like this.
  3. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve not listened. I assume as Trish didn’t mention him that Ben Goldacre wasn’t on it.

I also assume Nick Brown is the “self-appointed data police cadet” not the editor of Archives of Disease in Childhood BMJ who published the SMILE trial.

Stuart Ritchie, Nick Brown and Dorothy Bishop all know about PACE etc. I don’t suppose it was mentioned?

And finding anyone who cares enough do to something about bad ME/CFS research is almost impossible. Even the people who care about bad research in other areas mostly don’t seem to care about bad ME/CFS research.

Dorothy Bishop even said some positive things about the SMILE trial (See: https://virology.ws/2017/12/18/trial-by-error-my-questions-for-the-science-media-centre/)

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    TiredSam, bobbler, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  4. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the Nick Brown on the show is the data police guy, not the editor who published the SMILE trial! He's a member of this forum as @sTeamTraen but hasn't posted in a long while. He has mentioned in the past that there were problems with the PACE trial.

I listened to the show and found it good, especially Brown, James Heathers and Elizabeth Bik. PACE and/or ME/CFS were not mentioned, it was just a good general criticism of bad research practice.

bobbler, MEMarge, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You mean like that Pseudoskeptic Ben Goldacre?

bobbler, alktipping, EzzieD and 2 others like this.