1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC: Prostatitis: 'How I meditated away chronic pelvic pain'

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Of course he did.... :rolleyes:
    Not until halfway through
    and the rest is the normal new-age influenced garbage. Central sensitisation makes an appearance as well...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44910438

Inara, MEMarge, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  2. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hahaha... Talking about his Dr he says:

'When I told him about meditating, he was quick to reclaim my body for science. "Just because you and I have nervous personalities, it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with us," he said.'

THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT WE HEAR!!

I think that central sensitisation probably is an issue with SOME pain, just not most pain. May have been part of the problem for him.

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

would it be inappropriate to say what a load of bollocks :oops::whistle:

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So he did swimming and exercises and a lot of time elapsed. So why the hell attribute his improvement to the meditation?

5. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For the same reason people have lucky socks for their sports team? Sympathetic magic. :)

Inara, MEMarge, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  6. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're inadvertently kegelling 24-7 from nervous tension, that could probably cause pain and be amenable to meditation and relaxation techniques.

Skycloud, cyclamen, Tia and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tia

Why not attribute it to meditation? Just because meditation doesn't 'cure' ME doesn't mean it can't help other people manage different conditions. If the pain is associated with tension in the body (as may have been the case with this person) then doesn't it stand to reason that finding a way to relax the body could be helpful?

I'm not sure it helps our cause to be negative about certain experiences and techniques helping other people with different conditions. It seems like he's saying that a combination of different things including exercise, specific stretches and relieving stress through meditation helped him. Seems reasonable to me. He's not saying that these techniques will cure every disease and he doesn't mention ME at all.

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'd be happy if the improvement he experienced was attributed to possibly one or a combination of the exercises, stretching, meditation and time. As you say, the relaxation and reduced stress he felt as a result of the meditation may well have helped. But no one can know from a single case like this where multiple methods were used which one if any was the key. The problem with this article is mainly the headline. The actual article itself is more balanced.

9. Tia

Yes I agree that the headline is a problem. To say 'I meditated away pain' is intensely annoying (both to meditators and to people with pain!) To be fair to him he probably didn't make up the headline himself.