1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC News website: 'Rabbits gave me a reason to live'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Apr 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In a hodgepodge of an article, tenuously held together by the fact that an ancient Roman rabbit bone has been found, the BBC report
    and who says journalism is dead? Read the full article here, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47963324

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a lot of very fiddly to prep and eat stew. 240-72 = lots of tedium.

Who has the time, or a big enough pot.

(yes I hold the view that all rabbits not owned by a small child are food in waiting)

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ah but she’s not letting on the real reason she recovered is because she fed the rabbits on kale.

4. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Esther Crawley & Trudie Chaldee are working with Ms Bramley to develop a new rabbit based therapy.

MEMarge, MyalgicE, Forbin and 11 others like this.
  5. Wonko

whack a rabbit?

messy.

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, Forbin, Lisa108 and 10 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Can't beat a bit of killer bunny - literally, it's indestructible.

(not up to watching clip ATM, and last time I saw that sketch was erm....a very long time ago, so if the killer bunny does get defeated, it didn't okay, in my mind it won. I'm happier that way. Let's not make an issue of it.)

alktipping, andypants and Andy like this.
  9. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:emoji_stew:

10. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really hate rabbits, I know you all go what? They are not cute; smelly, they pee and poo all the time and don't interact much. Some of them have red scary eyes.

I guess I will never recover because of this, shame...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    MEMarge, MyalgicE, Lisa108 and 7 others like this.
  11. Wonko

But on the plus side they can be used to make a very chicken like soup - and chicken soup has had great marketing to encourage people to believe it's good for the sick.

So having a few in a rest home seems like a good plan to me.

I also have no fondness for rabbits, I can't even be bothered to eat them these days, they used to be a really cheap source of meat but, like with everything, once that was noticed the price went up - and they are a lot more agro to prepare than, say, a chicken.

And if you can find them, the odd butcher still sells them, they actually cost more than chicken now.

alktipping, andypants, Trish and 2 others like this.
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a pet rabbit (Clover) growing up, we let him run the house and he pooped everywhere. One day he disappeared and my mother had prepared a rabbit stew. She swore it wasn't him, but I never ate the stew.

MEMarge, Cheshire, Andy and 6 others like this.
  13. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can I shop with my rabbits? Shopping bag in one hand, rabbit in the other. It could be extra useful in the produce section.

Forbin, Lisa108, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  14. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My dad gave me a stuffed rabbit after a business trip. The minor but only emotional rapport I had in my family was w/my dad.

The rabbit is my childhood essence, my spirit-animal. Still is. Shak is short for shakota, a Pomo Indian dialect word for rabbit.

The first rabbit I had was bitten in the neck by some animal. I had put him in an upside down cardboard box outside the house overnight, as a cage wasn't permitted by dad.

Then, I was allowed to have three California Dutch rabbits in a nice cage he built, but by winter that dad wanted them kept yards away from the warmth of the house in the frigid Midwest winter. They died.

And finally we took in several rabbits, both male and female. In spring the two males tried to filet each other and had to be put down.

Meanwhile all through my childhood, my father shot the wild rabbits who wandered in at dusk from the woods next to our house. They nibbled at his ornamentalm plantings was the reason. He burned them inside the house in our incinerator (our very own crematorium).

I cried every time I heard the crack of his gun. No one comforted me. Eventually, he wised up and put wire mesh around his plantings. I left home at fifteen.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  15. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a pet rabbit- lived in the house, and I housetrained her. She was very cute. In the morning I would let her out of her hutch and she would run through to the kitchen and sit on her haunches in front of the fridge, waiting to see what she was getting for breakfast. Then she would run back through to her hutch and leap in it for her morning treat!
    It was amusing to see how much she and the cats ignored each other....
    Luckily she was a big bunny. My hunter cat is very fond of small rabbits - I get left with ears and innards, along with some furry paws......

MEMarge, Revel, Cheshire and 5 others like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm not surprised you left home, @shak8. I'm sorry to hear you had such a tough time.

MEMarge, erin, Forbin and 8 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a rabbit while I was sick.

Still sick.

(rabbits are stupid, don't get one, they're cute and fluffy but make terrible pets)

MEMarge, MyalgicE, erin and 7 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

When I was about 4 or 5 my mum had a beautiful white fluffy angora rabbit jacket knitted for me to wear with my party frock it cost a fortune unfortunately it brought me out in a rash - she was mortified

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Andy and 5 others like this.
  19. Wonko

Proves my point - rabbits are bad - even for children :hug:

It's possible I'm weird but even as a child once I felt the muscle your average rabbit has, and the sheer bloody mindedness and stupidity, I decided I didn't like them. I never understood why people did. Damn things are too powerful to be that unpredictable.

Then I was introduced to the idea of rabbit stew (my father hit one whilst driving and he was that sort of person, I'm glad he didn't hit a person or our little cooker would have been sorely tested) and my opinion changed, as it was quite tasty, and I wasn't the one who had to prepare and cook it.

I employed a woman for that sort of thing, well one kept hanging around anyway.

2kidswithME, erin, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  20. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As you can imagine, wonk, I will never and have never eaten rabbit. Well, I guess if I were starving, yeah, I would.