1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC Article: Long Covid: 'I have to choose between walking and talking'

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Andy, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2021
    MEMarge likes this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-59584146

Forbin, sebaaa, TigerLilea and 13 others like this.
  3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As someone with LC symptoms I find this absolutely terrifying.

Also yeah how awful to be told it’s anxiety when actually it’s a repeated pattern of symptoms based on biological processes.

We can all relate but in decades I have never had this sort of investigation nor have most of us so we won’t know where the function of our cells are impacted.

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to see Long Haulers getting the sort of high quality medical advice that most of us have experienced over many decades. :banghead:

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Completely absurd that getting 2 years into this, there is still a near complete taboo in most news media reports about how this is an old problem that medicine has explicitly denied for decades. It's damning to put it there how there is no treatment for this and no one knows how to treat it, when there are in fact bold claims of exactly this being "common knowledge", hence all the claims about the clinics and how general practice can handle it. And no shortage of physicians who would say exactly this, sometimes even both, not even understanding that they are talking about the same thing.

It's framed as an entirely new thing that never hinted at existing before 2020. It's been almost 2 years. And sometimes quotes about this are even edited out, I've seen a few lately about interviews where they did talk about it and it didn't make it into the program.

How is it a thing that in 2021, medicine of all things, has clear taboos over topics in the same way as an organized religion can have, literally "you do not talk about this". Absolutely ridiculous. I see it almost every time how some people hope this will help us but it's explicitly not happening, there are efforts preventing this from being acknowledged at all.

A problem that can't be acknowledged explicitly cannot be solved, it's the first damn step in solving every problem.

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its been reported that for H. pylori and gastric ulcers there was a ban for about ten years on discussing it at pharmaceutically funded medical conferences. It was popular discussions at news and other sites that changed the debate. People wanted a cure, not a treatment.

boolybooly, Art Vandelay, Ash and 4 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Heh, funny thing about that. I recently came across something about what happened with the CDC and NIH around the time they created CFS and I saw a Fauci quote saying how there's nothing wrong telling us that an illness is psychological and cited peptic ulcers as an example where it is.

This was before Marshall showed it was H. pylori, of course. It was clearly a very popular belief at the time. No one really seemed to have acknowledged that anything was wrong with that. So on and on it went. What could go wrong with no accountability whatsoever? Besides everything...

Amw66, alktipping, Midnattsol and 7 others like this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I quite like the fact that this BBC article links to @Adam pwme's video of the previous BBC interview.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I like that this has been in the bbc news website list of 10 most read items all day

Ash, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  10. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks i’d not seen that.

Sly Saint, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)