1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC article: Disability and dating: 'Why do people think I'm my boyfriend's carer?', 2021, Alex Taylor - includes ME

Discussion in 'Relationships and coping' started by MeSci, Jan 8, 2021.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an article about living with disability and being in a relationship and includes fibromyalgia and ME:

Disability and dating: 'Why do people think I'm my boyfriend's carer?'

Alex Taylor

8 January 2021

Dating is complicated at the best of times, but social stigma means dating someone with a disability is rarely discussed...

Lorna says...

I've been with Rob for 11 years, and married for four. We'd been together for about seven years when I was diagnosed with ME, which causes severe fatigue and leaves me often using a wheelchair and housebound most of the time.

It also means Rob has to help me with some personal care, such as showering and other day-to-day tasks.

Disability and dating: 'Why do people think I'm my boyfriend's carer?' - BBC Three

Skycloud, ahimsa, Anna H and 13 others like this.
  2. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lovely well written piece.

Skycloud, shak8, Yessica and 4 others like this.
  3. Nixxy

Nixxy Established Member

I loved reading this!

in my own relationship, my partner has ptsd, and eating disorder, with me having cfs, & some more shit. He sees me as equal: I actually fix his emotional issues (mainly by not rejecting his emotions & giving him space to experience them) and he helps me psyically. It’s very much a two-way-street.