BBC article about vagus nerve stimulation study

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by NelliePledge, Jul 30, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I will ask my wife to tickle my ears.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll ask strangers and see where it gets me.

4. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Small (N=29) pilot study. Sounds like a load of B*ll**ks to me.

I think this reporting from the BBC is premature and poor. But what else do you expect from them these days. Grrr.

ETA thanks for putting the link up @NelliePledge.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Here's the paper.
    https://www.aging-us.com/article/102074/text

Effects of transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation in individuals aged 55 years or above: potential benefits of daily stimulation
    Beatrice Bretherton 1 , Lucy Atkinson 1 , Aaron Murray 1 , Jennifer Clancy 2 ,Susan Deuchars 1 , Jim Deuchars
    Aging, 2019

They talk about three studies. I haven't got past the first one:

So, 14 participants - pretty small.

They found that those with a higher LF/HF ratio were most likely to have a relatively large reduction during electrical stimulation by the ear. Sounds like a regression to the mean result - for whatever reason some people were first measured during a moment when their LF/HF ratio was high. (I haven't looked into the physiology, but maybe if they were stressed about finding a park, or getting to the clinic on time?)

And, using their predefined definition of a response, only 4 of the 14 were classified as responders. (!)

Note also this was all just during the stimulation, so it says nothing about long or even medium term effects.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Yessica, DokaGirl, Snowdrop and 5 others like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've found vagal stimulation genuinely helpful if I've accidentally overdone it and can't switch off at night, though. Resistance breathing (forcing air out whilst partly closing my nose with my fingers), or using a TENs machine (before I managed to tread on the wretched ear clip and snap it, anyway :rolleyes:) reduce my heart rate and allow my mind to relax.

I rarely need the strategy now that I'm retired and able control my activity levels – but it felt like a lifesaver when work was making me more and more exhausted, and less and less able to sleep.

Yessica and DokaGirl like this.
  7. Hutan

Just reading that Study 1 description again, they wanted the LF/HF ratio to increase with the stimulation (LF/HF being a measure of heart rate variability and high variability seeming to be a good thing). But it looks like 8 of the 14 participants actually had a lower LF/HF ratio after stimulation! So, I think, according to their aim of increasing the LF/HF ratio by 20%, the trial was a failure. (?)

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.08.19 AM.png

DokaGirl and NelliePledge like this.
  8. Hutan

And then there's the assumption that the HF/LF ratio actually tells us anything about sympathetic and parasympathetic nerve activities. Looks like that is disputed. e.g.
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphys.2013.00026/full

I could have things wrong (among other reasons for wrongness, I still haven't got past Study 1). But taking the extra leap to suggest that this ear stimulation is going to bring benefits of
    or
    seems unwarranted.

But don't let that stop the ear tickling @TiredSam.

Wonko, Yessica, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  9. Hutan

From study 1:
    From study 2:
    :confused:I'm confused. Time for a cup of tea.

Wonko, Yessica, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.