1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BABCP - British Ass for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.babcpconference.com/information/information_2017.htm
    http://www.babcpconference.com/programme/keynotes_2017.htm

"
    [​IMG]
    Kate Rimes, King's College London

Chronic fatigue syndrome: Emotional processing and stress vulnerability

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS, also known as ‘ME’) is characterised by severe and disabling physical and mental fatigue that occurs for most of the day and has lasted at least six months. A range of other symptoms are typically present, such as muscle or joint pain, headaches, concentration difficulties and sleeping problems. It is often triggered by a virus or adverse life event. Multiple factors are likely to be involved in the maintenance of symptoms and these will vary across individuals. This talk will focus on two related areas that have been investigated in relation to chronic fatigue syndrome. Research investigating emotion processing and stress reactivity in people with CFS / ME will be described and treatment implications discussed."

Missed the July Conference :yawn: but maybe it's one to keep an eye on for next year.

Woolie, Wonko, ladycatlover and 9 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

A coward's phrasing.

They are involved, or they aren't. Until you have a clear answer, drop the piss weak implications sophistry.

Woolie, Wonko, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

If you're going to present yourself as an expert on a disease, at least learn what the disease actually entails. If there isn't PEM then it isn't ME/CFS, but this jackass can't even be bothered to list the core symptom under "a range of other symptoms."

4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, the title does say that she is an ass, a British one to be precise.

Woolie, TigerLilea, Wonko and 7 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Never heard this phrase in an M.E. definition before. Did she just make it up?

Woolie, Solstice, TigerLilea and 7 others like this.
  6. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh God, what a load of twaddle. Why are these people still being given any credibility?
    Yeah, like we really need more unevidenced, non-scientific, psych-based research... I wonder how much of our tax money will go to this latest pile of poo?

7. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

The new psychobabble definition of "chronic" - not lasting for decades, or years, or even just months, but now "most of the day." Do you think she'll tell the audience what time of day the disease mysteriously disappears?

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my fatigue scores go down while I'm unconscious, due to my inability to answer questionnaires until I wake up :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    chrisb, Woolie, Solstice and 9 others like this.
  8. akrasia

akrasia Established Member (Voting Rights)

9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't inability to perceive and report illness count as complete cure?

Woolie, Indigophoton, Inara and 10 others like this.
  10. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yea, weasel words. And a common segue into "So its still okay to study the role of psychological factors".

I would say no, it isn't. Given the current quality of psychological research, there is a high likelihood of making a false positive error, and such errors can cause serious harm to patients. Please restrict your psychological theorising to psychological complaints.

Inara, EzzieD, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  11. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

12. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can somebody email David Tuller w this one!!!!

13. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

m.e. is capable of producing stress intolerance. this has nothing to do with psycho-woo. it is one of many stressors. orthostatic, physical exertion e.g. as mentioned by iom, cognitive, temperature, stimulation intolerance, stress from interpersonal conflict, and stress from institutional abuse by psycho-woo. the body reacts to stress.

we must boldly point out the effect of stressors on pwme. hospitals, for example, need to reduce all stressors as part of ordinary care for pwme. it needs to be included when we create legislation like ryan white act type stuff or amend legislation like ada.

but simultaneously we must not allow psycho-woo careerists -- or any of their well-meaning colleagues -- to get near it. it isn't a problem that can be solved using their "skillset".

Inara and Trish like this.