1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia: Boost for people with ME and chronic fatigue syndrome thanks to Parliament

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://meaustralia.net/2018/05/09/...nic-fatigue-syndrome-thanks-to-parliament/amp

2. pteropus

pteropus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i'm confused ... which parts of this blog were spoken in the Senate ... and which relate to other locations / occasions / interviews ?

many of the people quoted, live or work a long way from Canberra - was there a video link of their comments, that was aired in the senate ?

3. pteropus

i found a link - this is what was spoken in the Australian Senate:

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...b/toc_pdf/sen-jn.pdf;fileType=application/pdf - pages 3074-3075

Journals of the Senate / No. 96 / Wednesday 9 May 2018

33 International Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Day

Senator Urquhart, at the request of Senators Polley and Griff and pursuant to notice of motion not objected to as a formal motion, moved general business notice of motion no. 802

—That the Senate—
    (a) notes that:

(i) 12 May 2018 is International Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Awareness Day,

(ii) ME and CFS is a debilitating neurological illness that affects the brain, endocrine system and muscles in adults and children,

(iii) ME and CFS affects between 94,000 and 242,000 Australians, with around 25% of people with ME and CFS unable to leave their house or bed,

(iv) the lack of a current diagnostic test for ME and CFS is a barrier to people receiving timely and accurate diagnosis,

(v) there is no current cure or effective treatment for ME and CFS and more biomedical research needs to be done to better understand this medical condition, and

(vi) there are actions and activities across Australia this week to mark Awareness Day, including Millions Missing events;

(b) acknowledges:

(i) the positive development of the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) establishing a ME/CFS advisory committee to advise if new guidelines are needed in Australia, and

(ii) the important role of families and carers of people living with ME/CFS; and

(c) urges:

(i) the NHMRC to ensure the ME/CFS advisory committee runs an open and transparent process that includes advice from leading scientists and clinicians, and

(ii) federal, state, territory and local governments to take leadership, and work with people who have ME/CFS to help them get the support they need.

Question put and passed.

- - - - -

so the other quotes aren't part of the Senate events.

4. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the second year here in Australia that we have had a motion pass in the Senate to acknowledge ME/CFS Awareness Day. The article is misleading, as such motions are largely symbolic, and don’t reflect anything about government policy or intentions. The wording isn’t as significant as the article implies, because the words are generally written by the advocate who requested the Senator move a motion. What such motions do reflect is that these Senators are allies, (2 last year and 3 different Senators this year), which has come from lobbying efforts by many people throughout the last couple of years. It’s good to have such allies. Things are shifting, though not quickly enough!

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I'll wait until I see the money, and where it goes, including ME patients getting a much better deal from Centrelink.

The rest is just words.

6. pteropus

I just want to mention, because this has been a source of misunderstanding in the past. The “ME Australia” blog is not the peak national advocacy organisation for Australians. In fact, it’s not an organisation or group at all. It’s a blog, run by one person.

In the past, there have been instances of international advocacy organisations, funding bodies, and even other patients who have assumed that this was our peak body. This led to not only confusion, but has prevented our ME/CFS organisations from speaking on our behalf, as these other organisations were under the impression that contacting “ME Australia” meant that they were contacting an official ME/CFS organisation in Australia, which they weren’t.

7. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Senate motion like this is exactly that, just words. It isn’t meant to be anything else. It is very common for the Senate to pass such motions to support awareness of various causes. For example, the same day that this motion was passed, the Senate also passed motions in support of the following:

- 70th World Health Assembly on Cancer Prevention and Control
    - Motor Neurone Disease Awareness Week
    - MAYDAYS for Eating Disorders
    - World Day for Safety and Health at Work—Workers’ Memorial Day
    - World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day

This was an ordinary day in the Senate. There would be similar motions passed every single day. They don’t represent government policy, more a polite acknowledgment by the government of whatever cause the awareness day represents. More of a shoutout than anything. It would be a mistake to read too much into the wording of the motion, or to place undue weight on it. It is a supportive gesture (which is very welcome!), but nothing more.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  8. Penelope McMillan

Penelope McMillan Established Member (Voting Rights)

Griff has proven to be an ally, asking questions last year in the Senate about the WHO reclassification issues.