1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia: 2022 The CHROMIC Study - Understanding ME/CFS and discovering new treatments through repurposed pharmaceuticals - recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by FMMM1, Mar 9, 2022.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Understanding myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and discovering new treatments through repurposed pharmaceuticals - The CHROMIC Study
    Deakin University, Australia

From the application form linked above:

The aim

This study aims to improve the understanding of the disorder as well as to look for new treatments for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)

Who can participate?
    - Individuals with a diagnosis of ME/CFS
    - Individuals with no known disease (healthy controls)

- Surveys will be done online at your own pace
    - Only ONE appointment needed to take part
    - The study involves donating a blood sample and performing a hand-grip strength test

EMERGE Australia article about the study here:
    https://www.emerge.org.au/blog/chromic

alktipping, ukxmrv, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

erm.....understanding your austin rover mini and looking for possible clutch repair options, in the children's bakery section of the library?

How can they possibly come up with treatments, rather than just trying things at random, without at least a basic understanding of what they are attempting to treat?

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't see any information on what the study will do.
    Is that because it is commercial?

Milo, alktipping, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://impact.deakin.edu.au/2021/0...c-encephalomyelitis-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

So, one of the three studies funded by the NHMRC. I believe that, while there has been criticism of Paul Fisher's work with the leukocytes turned into leukoblasts in the grounds that the process of transformation causes a lot that was specific to the cells to be lost, the idea of working with stem cells is more widely accepted by scientists in this field.

6. Hutan

Re the commercialation aspect:
    The project is a lot like the work of Paul Fisher's team, except that it is using muscle and brain cells derived from stem cells, rather than leukoblasts derived from leukocytes. My understanding is that independent people working in the field think this approach has a greater chance of success and Walder has shown his team is capable of the work. There's still the problem of potentially losing what is unique about the ME/CFS cells when they are in the body of a person with ME/CFS, in the process of the cell transformation in vitro.

7. Hutan

On the negative side, there's this.

alktipping and Trish like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Too right. It sounds barmy to me. If you make stem cells and then differentiate them you are likely to unwind all acquired and epigenetic processes leaving you with cell behaviour just based on the genome. Since people do not have ME at birth that seems unhelpful.

Independent people working in fields like this often haven't a clue I am afraid. And grant giving committees tend to work on the basis of not offending high profile hi-tech investigators.

Moreover, the idea of restoring function in vitro with drugs seems to me pie in the sky. No immunomodulatory drug I know of would do that - their job is to interfere with one cell in order to rebalance a problem of interaction of many cells. And as for restoring function in brain cells - nobody knows what individual brain cells do much.

shak8, alktipping, FMMM1 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, well, there you go.