1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

August 21, 2020 IACFS/ME Virtual Conference

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Tom Kindlon, Jun 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I usually follow conferences as best I can, but there was no way I could find $50.

Dakota15 and MEMarge like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone know whether the videos will be made available for all to watch?

Kitty likes this.
  3. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Not transparent. Some effort to communicate highlights with the wider ME community should be a basic output.

sebaaa, rvallee, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  5. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to @hope123 post earlier in this thread that is the plan

6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I attended. I missed the first block due to sleeping in (it was after all only 7 AM on the west coast). There were no major revelations, and because i missed the beginning i am not sure what is embargoed-

Due to brain fog i will need to watch again to make sure i didn’t misunderstand any information or got the numbers wrong.

The conference webcast was good, and i must admit very convenient for those of us sick- we could ask questions in a chat box but not discuss between each other- most questions were answered if they were relevant.

7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Small-Fiber Polyneuropathy May Underlie Dysautonomia in ME/CFS
    Article by Miriam Tucker on Ryan Whelan's presentation at the conference

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/936745

9. Tom Kindlon

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Are they deliberately trying to exclude patients?

sebaaa, Daisymay, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trish

I assume they are charging in order to cover costs of admin to organise the conference, record the lectures, and get them checked by the speakers and edit etc. The conferences we normally watch online free probably cover their costs from attendance fees.

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'attendees' had to pay to register in the first place; I'm guessing that maybe there were'nt enough. Maybe if the registration fees hadn't been so high there might have been more.

eta: looks like I was wrong
    "The half-day (Zoom) conference was held on 21 August 2020 and attracted 274 attendees from around the world"
    (from Toms post below)
    so access to the recordings could be made more affordable.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    sebaaa, MEMarge, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tom Kindlon

15. Tom Kindlon

16. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess the MERUK report will be one of Cort's first pieces.

Kitty likes this.
  17. hope123

hope123 Established Member

As in our prior meetings, IACFS/ME invited several members of the media like Miriam Tucker and writers like Cort Johnson to cover the meeting. Thus, if you are not able to watch the video, you can read their reports in the following weeks ahead. We may also compile the reports together and place it on the IACFS/ME website or send it out to our e-mail list members. This is our way of making the meeting available to people who cannot afford to attend.

Meetings take time, effort, and resources to organize. Yes, even virtual conferences. In fact, virtual conferences have challenges of their own and are not easier to organize than in-person meetings. We also vet all work submitted for scientific quality, conflict of interest, and qualification for medical education credits, something other ME/CFS meetings do not do. That process takes months and funding.

We have tried to make the meetings as affordable as possible. In fact, it would be even more expensive if it were not for our sponsors and the hundreds of hours people volunteered to make the meeting happen. If anyone would like to volunteer or help us raise funds for the next meeting, that can allow us to decrease the price of attendence. Visit the IACFS/ME website and complete the Contact Us form.

Conferences are a major source of financial support for IACFS/ME. IACFS/ME is almost entirely run by volunteer scientists, physicians and professionals so we do not have the time/ energy to fundraise in the same way as other groups. (Some non-profits have paid staff whose only job is to raise funds.) Without adequate funds, the organization will not survive and be unable to organize future conferences.

18. Trish

Thanks for explaining, @hope123. It is helpful to be reminded of the realities of costs of events like this.

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)