1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Augmentin side effects

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by perchance dreamer, Nov 24, 2020.

1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will be taking (I think) a 3-day course of Augmentin to treat a sinus infection. Ordinarily, I am prescribed antibiotic/anti-fungal capsules for sinus rinses so I don't have to take oral antibiotics, and I could do so this time although it is a 30-day course of treatment, so I might not get sinus relief for awhile.

I've felt really bad for several weeks, so that's why I'm considering the 3 Augmentin injections. The sinus infection would be cleared more quickly this way. However, I did want to ask about your experiences of Augmentin.

Have any of you had sleep difficulties as a result of Augmentin? Also, have any side effects you've experienced from this drug cleared up quickly?

Thanks!

shak8, MeSci, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I and my children have used augmentin quite a few times over the years, mainly for ear infections, although just in tablet form. I've never noticed any significant side effects, including since developing ME/CFS. I hope you can get on top of your infection soon.

MeSci, alktipping and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is also called amoxicillin in the UK.

I was prescribed a 5 day course of amoxicillin after a dental implant was .....installed (I know that's not the right word but it's close?).

I honestly can't say I noticed any side effects at all though the trio to the dentist was enough to cause some PEM.

It was in capsule form. Sorry can't remember the dose.

Mij, MeSci, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

According to this:
    https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/281/smpc#gref
    It's amoxicillin/clavulanic acid
    I think in the UK it's called amoxiclav.

I have been fine with amoxicillin on its own, but reacted badly (gut pain and severe diarrhoea) with amoxiclav, and had problems with all other antibiotics I've tried. But I think my gut is particularly sensitive to drugs. And the reaction is temporary if unpleasant.

5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for your responses. It's good to hear you didn't have any significant CNS symptoms. As for the more common side effects of digestive distress, it may be that because I'll be getting it injected instead of taking it in oral form that digestive side effects won't be as severe since the drug will bypass the digestive tract. One can hope!

I'm going to ask my doctor about increasing probiotics during this time to help stave off a yeast infection.

6. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Took it a long time ago when I was doing pretty bad. I didn't have any problems with it and I can be really hypersensitive to meds.

Hutan likes this.
  7. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just finished a 7 day course of oral Flucloxacillin on Monday, the first time I'd taken antibiotics in 30 years.

I don't seem to have had any ill effects from the meds. The infection I was taking it for had lowered my level of function (to living on toast) and I was sleeping more during the day, but now back to my 'usual' abnormal normal.

I was a bit worried as the 30 years ago prescription set off about 18 months of chronic thrush, but no problems so far. I do make my own kefir and have daily with my cereal.

Best of luck with the treatment.

Mij, Legend and Trish like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Installation and restoration are terms used regularly in the dental field.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've taken Augmentin in pill or capsule form more than once, but I can't remember what for. It didn't cause me any memorable side effects at all.