1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio distraction: podcasts, audio books, radio on demand

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Jenny TipsforME, Aug 21, 2018.

1. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you like detective light fiction, Sarah Paretsky’s VI Warshawski is on Sounds atm. Bonus is Kathleen Turner playing VI - a great action character who gets herself into scrapes along the way. 6 30 min episodes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b00f85ps

Trish likes this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Love these! Thanks so much. And yes, such a good voice, well-rehearsed too.

Trish and Ravn like this.
  3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad you like it. The good news is there's a lot of it. Took me about 2 years to work my way through all the back episodes, starting with the Proto-Indo-Europeans and the podcast has only reached the 1500s. Many more centuries to come. :)

shak8 and Trish like this.
  4. Mariaba

Mariaba New Member

I've been listening to Jenny Rowbory's new book of poetry called 'We are the Winter People'. It's so soothing & meditative to listen to. I just love it.

Ebb Tide and Trish like this.
  5. Ravn

Have recently discovered the Mind Chat podcast. Memory problems make it a bit hard going for me at times. It's not easy trying to follow a complex argument when you forget the first part long before you reach the end of a long sentence, frustrating. But fascinating discussions.
    I'm listening to the audio version on my podcast app but couldn't find a direct link so the quote and link are from the Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MindChat/videos

@Jonathan Edwards - I expect you are familiar with most of the hypotheses and interviewees just by looking at their names. I'd be interested to know which of them, in your view, are the least wrong (yep, shamelessly trying to pigeonhole you :D)

bobbler, hibiscuswahine and Trish like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Ravn

In the spirit of know thy enemy I listened to this podcast about FND, part of a series of continuing medical education for neuropsychologists.

It's a good introduction to FND for people like me who've largely ignored this topic to date (apart from noting that the field seems to have been captured by BPS types with poor grasp of sound scientific methodology).

The podcast covers the history as well as the latest thinking on pathophysiology and treatment. Not unexpectedly plenty to disagree with but also moments of amusement of sorts. Like learning that the interviewee, a leading FND eminence, no longer uses the hardware-software analogy we're still being asked to swallow.

Most interesting though was the striking dissonance between what's happening in (some of the) research into pathophysiology and what's happening in the clinic.

It appears at least some researchers define 'functional' simply as no tissue damage visible with current technology, and from there go out to explore in two main directions. One, are there tissue abnormalities after all and can they be detected with better technology? Two, what sort of brain signalling abnormalities could be causing the observed signs and symptoms? There is some evidence for both but for now it's a mess of all manner of inconsistent group-level abnormalities (sounds familiar somehow).

Both those research paths strike me as sensible avenues to pursue (if done rigorously).

But when it comes to treatment we're right back to CBT used to convince patients they can function normally. Which cures some patients in 5 days! Sadly for many patients treatment doesn't work very well... Some patients are cured overnight! Treatment may not address the underlying issue and not work long term... Somehow the interviewee holds all of these views simultaneously.

Two more episodes on FND are planned but I think I might give those a miss

https://www.navneuro.com/108/

Incidentally, what I was really looking for was a podcast to help me refresh my memory on working memory. In case anyone's interested, episode 102 in this same podcast series discusses one of the more influential models by Baddeley. It's quite technical but a lot easier on the blood pressure than the FND episode https://www.navneuro.com/102/

ContraindiKate, RedFox, obeat and 3 others like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for taking one for the team. :thumbsup:

Amw66, obeat, Ravn and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ravn

In case anyone did go/goes on to listen to the FND podcast above I recommend following up with this one by the Norwegian ME association for balance. Nothing new in it for most of us but always nice to listen to Brian Hughes
    https://shows.acast.com/leve-med-me/episodes/stigmas-surrounding-me

Amw66, Dolphin, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  10. Ravn

Podcast:
    The Dissenter, episode 923, Nicholas Brown: How to Spot Bad Science

Most of us here are all too familiar with poor science so not much new or surprising in this podcast, maybe apart from the argument that we need less science and fewer scientists, but still an interesting listen and it could be a good podcast to point people to if they don't believe you when you're railing about all the bad science out there or they want to lump you in with the conspiracy theorists for making such a claim. Long interview though, about 2 hours, nothing about bad ME science unfortunately

The interviewee is Nick Brown who'll be familiar to some members as one of the people working on exposing dodgy papers. Hilda Bastian gets a brief mention as one of the rare people who let herself be convinced by the evidence to change her views significantly

I'll give the Youtube link because it has all the relevant links and time stamps some of which don't show in my podcast app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ovxk0s3UT8

Amw66, shak8, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Then back again, I guess. Hard to say, really, but this is what it looks like to me. Nothing to dispute that anyway, while everything points to it.

Ravn and Amw66 like this.
  12. Fleur

Fleur Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this, Trish

Following your recommendation I have now listened to several of these and I have been inspired to read one of the books:

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier.

It arrived today and I was pleased to see on first glance that it is not too long and the print is not too small.

I have read another book by her called, A Single Thread which I very much enjoyed.

I agree that it was fascinating to have an insight into the authors thoughts etc and will definitely be listening to more of the podcasts.

shak8 and Trish like this.