1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Attributes and predictors of long COVID by Sudre et al. 2021

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Mar 10, 2021.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Reports of long-lasting coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) symptoms, the so-called ‘long COVID’, are rising but little is known about prevalence, risk factors or whether it is possible to predict a protracted course early in the disease. We analyzed data from 4,182 incident cases of COVID-19 in which individuals self-reported their symptoms prospectively in the COVID Symptom Study app1.

A total of 558 (13.3%) participants reported symptoms lasting ≥28 days, 189 (4.5%) for ≥8 weeks and 95 (2.3%) for ≥12 weeks. Long COVID was characterized by symptoms of fatigue, headache, dyspnea and anosmia and was more likely with increasing age and body mass index and female sex. Experiencing more than five symptoms during the first week of illness was associated with long COVID (odds ratio = 3.53 (2.76–4.50)).

A simple model to distinguish between short COVID and long COVID at 7 days (total sample size, n = 2,149) showed an area under the curve of the receiver operating characteristic curve of 76%, with replication in an independent sample of 2,472 individuals who were positive for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2. This model could be used to identify individuals at risk of long COVID for trials of prevention or treatment and to plan education and rehabilitation services.[/QUOTE]

Link to full study: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01292-y

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Terrific set of tweets by Hannah Davis.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The same biasing applies to pwME when they stop seeing their doctors, and the GP assumes they're feeling better and are surprised when they come back a few years later feeling worse. They have no clue what you've been dealing with or even how difficult it was to get to that appointment, and say "well you made it here today" implying you must be feeling ok? wtf?

Trish, Michelle, rvallee and 3 others like this.