1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Attention and capacity limits in perception: A cellular metabolism account, Bruckmaier et al, 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Indigophoton, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Saw this, thought of us. I'm not up to reading the paper (abstract and link below), so haven't assessed its quality, but the article in neuroscience news is interesting. Perhaps this sort of phenomenon might help to explain why an ME brain is particularly prone to falling over with too much incoming stimuli, or too much to attend to, and why mental processing can be so exhausting, since we have less energy (presumably) to begin with.

Paper - Journal of Neuroscience 3 August 2020, JN-RM-2368-19; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2368-19.2020

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to see you here @Indigophoton.

I'm not up to reading the paper either.
    I do however try to limit how many things might be competing for my attention at any one time. Life is impossible otherwise.

3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

just stating the bloody obvious . having m.e for thirty years i am well aware of how higher processes give way to the autonomic functions of the brain . simply put thinking on your feet is way harder when you barely have the energy to function .

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've skimmed it.

Nice to see the problem being analysed from this angle as opposed to......

you are focussing on your symptoms and this is distracting you......

You are subconsciously trying to get out of dealing with whatever....

Makes a change from the usual guff.