1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Astragalus polysaccharide ameliorated complex factor-induced CFS by modulating the gut microbiota and metabolites in mice 2023 Wei et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 12, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

[Researchers torture mice, fed them a traditional Chinese medicine, claim it helps]

Highlights
    • Astragalus polysaccharide (APS) improve the learning and memory abilities and reduce despair in mcie with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

• APS ameliorates intestinal barrier damage and inflammation in CFS mice.

• APS modulates the gut microbiota and increases levels of short chain fatty acids (SCFA) in CFS mice.

• APS ameliorates oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain of CFS mice, an effect possibly mediated by promoting SCFAs production in the gut.
    Abstract
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating disease with no symptomatic treatment. Astragalus polysaccharide (APS), a component derived from the traditional Chinese medicine A. membranaceus, has significant anti-fatigue activity. However, the mechanisms underlying the potential beneficial effects of APS on CFS remain poorly understood. A CFS model of 6-week-old C57BL/6 male mice was established using the multiple-factor method. These mice underwent examinations for behavior, oxidative stress and inflammatory indicators in brain and intestinal tissues, and ileum histomorphology. 16 S rDNA sequencing analysis indicated that APS regulated the abundance of gut microbiota and increased production of short chain fatty acids (SCFAs) and anti-inflammatory bacteria. In addition, APS reversed the abnormal expression of Nrf2, NF-κB, and their downstream factors in the brain-gut axis and alleviated the reduction in SCFAs in the cecal content caused by CFS. Further, APS modulated the changes in serum metabolic pathways induced by CFS. Finally, it was verified that butyrate exerted antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects in neuronal cells. In conclusion, APS could increase the SCFAs content by regulating the gut microbiota, and SCFAs (especially butyrate) can further regulate the oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain, thus alleviating CFS. This study explored the efficacy and mechanism of APS for CFS from the perspective of gut-brain axis and provides a reference to further explore the efficacy of APS and the role of SCFAs in the central nervous system.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0753332223006522

2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much from those of us without the cognition or time to read entire posts.

Michelle, shak8, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IIRC, SCFAs produced in the colon mostly get used in the colon; only 8% or so enter the bloodstream, so it's unlikely to have major effects on neurons. Supplemental butyrate might be more effective at raising butyrate levels in the brain, yet I can't recall anyone claiming that it's effective for their ME.

Poor little mousies.

Michelle, shak8 and alktipping like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I really shouldn't laugh, but I did.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The animal model of CFS is likely to be awful and ridiculous, but perhaps astragalus could affect microbiome diversity in favour of SCFA-producing bacteria. That could be a reasonable question to investigate.

We have seen some hints of reduced short-chain fatty acids production in the guts of people with ME/CFS. Butyrate produced in the gut might benefit neurons. So, perhaps it's worth reading the paper.

Michelle, Amw66, shak8 and 1 other person like this.