1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Association of T and NK cell phenotype with the diagnosis of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), Rivas et al, 2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Indigophoton, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The paper has been provisionally accepted by Frontiers in Immunology, and the full text is due to be published soon.
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2018.01028/abstract

andypants, unicorn7, Andy and 19 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The one time my Treg cells were counted, I had a higher than normal number of them. I thought this was typical for PWME. But this study finds that
    :thumbsdown: (that thumbs down emoji has always looked more like a 'huh? head scratch' to me - I use it here to mean that)

I look forward to seeing a scatterplot of the actual results. I guess numbers of cells is one thing, and good on this group for replicating studies, but the activity of the cells seems to be another, and perhaps more important?, thing.

Good on the researchers also for using 'ME/CFS' rather than 'CFS'; an opening sentence with a definition that mentions more than just fatigue; CCC selection criteria; and a reasonable number of participants. :thumbsup: (That one is a thumbs up)

edawg81, andypants, Andy and 12 others like this.
  3. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here. Maybe we are in a different subgroup?

4. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my cd4+ numbers are consistently high and my CD8+ numbers are consistently low.

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From Wikipedia:
    My lab results just had a figure for 'T suppressor total' which is, I believe, the old term for regulatory T cells (Tregs). So it's hard to know what my measurement is of and if we are comparing apples with apples here. The fact that some normal T cells express the same biomarkers (e.g. CD4, CD8) might be a confusing factor too.

Someone who actually knows what they are talking about with T cells - feel free to step in here.

MEMarge, merylg, andypants and 2 others like this.
  6. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Anybody want to offer an opinion on how useful/good a study this is?

Inara, andypants, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  8. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm keen to hear people's thoughts, too. T-cells and NK cells crop up a lot.

Inara, andypants, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  9. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mine were both low Ts and NKs (number and activity) not sure knowing this has helped me at all, since I cannot raise them no matter what I do (prescription drugs and supplements).

adambeyoncelowe, Inara and Webdog like this.
  10. Manganus

Manganus Established Member (Voting Rights)

My brain is nothing to trust, etc., etc., but my impression after reading the paper is that it might be of some value. But it's yet one more of these studies that come up with results that are not immediately possible to translate into clinical practice.

It's a good thing they used strict (2010) criteria instead of Fukuda.
    It's another good thing they set out to test other groups' reported findings.
    It's yet another good thing they had a fairly large group of patients and controls.

But its 70% hit-rate diagnosing patients with a blood test is in no way immediately useful.

This paper may well be considered yet another piece in the puzzle. But many more pieces remain to be laid down, before we see the picture.

Inara, Aroa, Sunshine3 and 8 others like this.
  11. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some info from Wikipedia on Natural Tiller T cell (NKT-like). This is a type of T-cell.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_killer_T_cell

Kitty likes this.