1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Association between quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccination and selected syndromes with autonomic dysfunction: Hviid et al. 2020

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Sep 2, 2020.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full title:
    Association between quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccination and selected syndromes with autonomic dysfunction in Danish females: population based, self-controlled, case series analysis
    My bolding

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m2930.full.print

Michelle, Andy, Simon M and 4 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i will have to read this later. There are a number of girls with primarily OI issues following HPV, but many with CFS too. It's always difficult to know if adverse events are statistically signiifcant or not.
    The HPV vaccine, has I believe, been modified since first usage. ( i can't remember where I read this but it related to the Merck version)

Sarah94 likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm confused. They took a sample of patients with dysautonomia, then checked whether they developed more of those syndromes that tend to occur with one another? That seems odd, rather than taking a generic sample population and looking at the rates. If they already have (likely) post-infectious illness and look at... rates of (typically) post-infectious illness... 100% of that sample should... I don't get it.

I doubt there is an actual causal link but the method seems... confused. Since exposure to pathogens is common I would pretty much assume that this is the same type of thing happening with electromagnetic sensitivity, that simply lacking a clear diagnosis some people assign the cause to an arbitrary thing but they are most likely all post-infectious cases that were missed because medicine misses most of those cases and does no monitoring or follow-up that would illuminate the issue.

Really way past time tracking and monitoring of all human-infecting pathogens becomes normal, with standard tests almost overused simply so we don't miss out on useful data simply by being stingy.