1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Assessment of Hearing and Vestibular Functions in a Post-COVID-19 Patient: A Clinical Case Study 2022 Andreeva et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract:
    SARS-CoV-2 infection may cause such complications as post-COVID-19 syndrome, which includes chronic fatigue, myalgia, arthralgia, as well as a variety of neurological manifestations, e.g., neuropathy of small fibers, hearing and vestibular dysfunction, and cognitive impairment. This clinical case describes a 41-year-old patient suffering from post-COVID-19 syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome. A detailed examination was performed, including an in-depth study of peripheral and central hearing and vestibular functions, as well as small nerve fibers length and density in the skin and cornea of the eye. Contrary to expectations, no peripheral nervous system dysfunction was detected, despite the presence of dizziness and gait instability in the patient. Hearing tests (gap detection test and dichotic test) showed central auditory processing disorders. The evaluated lesion in the processing of temporal and verbal auditory information can be a significant factor contributing to additional overload of the neural activity and leading to chronic fatigue when performing daily activities in patients with CFS and post-COVID-19 complications.

https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/13/1/122

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had all these vestibular tests done years ago at the hospital and nothing was found to be dysfunctional.

Decades later I'm still dealing on and off with vestibular issues and have concluded that viral reactivation is the cause. I've learnt to live with it.

jaded and Peter Trewhitt like this.