Trial Report Assessing symptoms of long/post COVID and CFS using the DePaul symptom questionnaire-2: a validation in a German-speaking population, 2023, Jason et a

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free fulltext:
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2023.2295419

Assessing symptoms of long/post COVID and chronic fatigue syndrome using the DePaul symptom questionnaire-2: a validation in a German-speaking population
    Nina Buntić
    Leonard A. Jason
    Jochen Schneider
    Marc Schlesser
    &
    André Schulz
    Published online: 24 Dec 2023

ABSTRACT
    Objective
    A subset of Covid-19 survivors will develop persisting health sequelae (i.e. Long Covid/LC or Post Covid/PC) similar to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). In the absence of a reliable biomarker to diagnose LC/PC and ME/CFS, their classification based on symptoms becomes indispensable. Hence, we translated and validated the DePaul Symptom Questionnaire−2 (DSQ-2), to offer a screening tool for the German-speaking population.

Methods
    A sample of healthy adults, and adults with ME/CFS and LC/PC (N = 502) completed a reduced-item version of the DSQ-2 and SF-36 questionnaire online. We performed an exploratory factor analysis, assessed construct validity, diagnostic accuracy and compared the symptom profiles of individuals with ME/CFS versus LC/PC versus healthy adults.

Results
    Exploratory factor analysis revealed a 10-factor solution with excellent internal consistencies. The sensitivity of the DSQ-2 was excellent. The specificity was moderate with moderate inter-rater reliability. Construct validity of the DSQ-2 was supported by strong negative correlations with physical health subscales of the SF-36. A visual comparison of the symptom profiles of individuals with ME/CFS versus LC/PC revealed a comparable pattern.

Conclusion
    Despite lower symptom severity, individuals with LC/PC reported significantly stronger limitations in general health and physical functioning and were more likely to meet ME/CFS diagnostic criteria with ongoing sickness duration, suggesting that ME/CFS can be considered a long-term sequela of LC/PC. This study offers a translated and validated version of the reduced-item DSQ-2 that can guide medical evaluation and aid physicians in identifying a ME/CFS-like subtype of LC/PC.

KEYWORDS:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    Grigor, Sean and oldtimer like this.