1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

As a psychologist I see the fantasy of neoliberal values having a devastating effect on mental healt

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Hoopoe, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Good piece with a lot of parallels to the challenges so many of us will face
    Also

3. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*The author Jay Watts has been a friend of PWME. She a consultant clinical psychologist and psychotherapist, and honorary senior research fellow at Queen Mary, University of London.

*She was one fo the Health Professionals who wrote to Prime Minister Theresa May criticising Simon Wessely's appointment to review the Mental Health Act.

https://www.thecanary.co/discovery/...-controversial-new-mental-health-guru-letter/

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this was a good piece. Great to have Watts speaking out on issues like this, and in the Wessely letter. A good 'un?

5. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Little Bluestem, Amw66, Joh and 7 others like this.
  6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, critisism on neoliberal ideology, in the Independent and here.

I think I start to love this place more and more.

Feels so good to read it, thank you. I only wish more and more people would understand.

I had a brief discussion with a colleague once where she stated we had the most freedom ever. I told her that is incorrect. She went on, you can do whatever you want, learn this, do this job or that one...I said it's not freedom if not to work is no option (since you're sanctioned for it), but only to work.
    I think this job-focus is very questionable. There are so many other meaningful things a human can do than contributing to profit maximization.

7. Esther12

There are a lot of problems today, but I'm not sure things have ever been that great. Seems like there need to be constant battle against abuses of power. I think things have gotten worse for disabled people in the UK, but there's been progress in other areas. Hard to know how things balance out (especially if you're in a group for whom things have got worse!)

8. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I reported this thread as I think it breaches rule #12. Btw I'm against this rule but until it's there, let's abide it.

9. Inara

I think this is a pretty realistic view on things.

10. Inara

Which post did you report?

11. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The thread I mean, I edited my post.

Luther Blissett, TiredSam and Wonko like this.
  12. Esther12

This is clearly ME related politics imo. One could argue that a lot of the PACE stuff is more political than 'science'. There are probably no clear lines with rule #12, but this thread has got to be okay imo.

13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nevertheless - things, in many non wheelchair friendly respects, did used to be better for "disabled" people, in the UK. We have been going backwards at an ever increasing rate for quite a while now.

Hopefully there will be a nice cliff or wall made out spikes to halt this backward acceleration soon.

14. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No rule breach here, it's contextual politics which is allowed.

15. Inara

Ah, you corrected it "to this thread", thanks.

I would be happy to hear from mods about this, since I asked about rule #12 and never received an answer. PM would be okay.

I believe common politics affect people with ME (and other sick people) immensely. I think it unwise not to consider this. How can you advocate ME while ignoring how the system works? I don't understand it.

Personally, I suffer under neoliberal ideology. Others may be too. Are we not allowed to discuss this?

I don't understand, too, what the motivation is behind reporting this thread.

Please don't kill me! I really want to understand.

16. Inara

@Allele
    Thanks for clarifying. I am glad this thread will stay.
    Maybe some time my questions concerning rule 12 can be answered. (Not here, you choose)

ladycatlover and Luther Blissett like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

We are reviewing the report of the thread, once we have a consensus decision we'll come back to you.

@Inara please can you point me to where your question wasn't answered so we can look to address that as well.

18. Inara

@Andy: I will write you a PM. Thanks!

Luther Blissett and Andy like this.
  19. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't even aware we had a rule#12 - I took references to it as a joke, fair enough I didn't get the joke, but that's not uncommon ;)

I do not currently have to capacity to access the merits of rule 12 vis a vie this thread, but my gut feel is, if it does apply, we is stuffed, coz everything, other than cats, biscuits and possibly fridges, would break it.

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member