1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Women are more susceptible to long Covid, but will we listen to them?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Andy, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

We have a unique window to analyze how the virus overlaps with chronic illnesses – but medicine has a habit of dismissing women who suffer from them

On day 16, Helene finally woke up with energy. “I did this long walk. I came back, and I was in the garden, lying in the sun. And then I felt I was getting a migraine.” At first she thought nothing of it, putting it down to spring pollen causing hay fever. But then it got worse. “I developed this sinus pain and then it turned into nausea, and my whole body ached. So I went to bed. I don’t think I was ever the same after that.”

Helene was recounting this story to me in August 2020, five months after contracting Covid-19. Her story is not unusual. Her description of feeling better and then getting even sicker after exercise has a medical name: post-exertional malaise. It is common in patients with post-viral fatigue and is a hallmark of chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and some other overlapping chronic pain conditions.

This is an excerpt from Pain and Prejudice: How the Medical System Ignores Women –And What We Can Do About It, by Gabrielle Jackson, available now from Greystone Books. Excerpted with permission of the publisher.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/mar/25/women-coronavirus-long-covid-health

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More women survive acute COVID-19.
    But their LongCOVID is too often dismissed as not worth addressing.

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As usual---women's 'complaints'.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A similar idea was mentioned (I won't say "discussed" - the article was "reporting" not "journalism") in a BBC article yesterday.

Middle-aged women 'worst affected by long Covid', studies find

(The article and related paper is discussed here
    Physical, cognitive and mental health impacts of COVID-19 following hospitalisation: a multi-centre prospective cohort study, 2021, Evans et al.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2021
    Hutan, Lisa108, alktipping and 3 others like this.