1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: What happens when you don’t recover from Epstein-Barr virus?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Wyva, Apr 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/what-happens-when-you-dont-recover-epstein-barr-virus

The author says she had ME/CFS after EBV.

(About the author:
    Priya Joi is a British-Indian science writer based in Barcelona. She was previously a staff writer and editor at the World Health Organization, The Lancet, and New Scientist magazine. She has a degree in genetics.)

Some excerpts:

Suggesting that psychological interventions could help people with CFS/ME recover is not to suggest there wasn’t also a biological cause.
    (...)

However, it has been suggested that there is a psychological connection with symptoms in some people with CFS/ME. Doctors like Simon Wessely, professor at the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College London, UK, who have spoken about this, have been vilified and even sent death threats as some vocal patient-support organisations and doctors deny any psychological link.

(...)

Peter White published another paper with Michael Sharpe, psychiatrist and well-known CFS expert at the University of Oxford, showing increasing evidence that cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can resolve symptoms in some people too.

This is not to say that everyone with CFS/ME will see their symptoms ease with the same methods, but that there is evidence that for some people, psychological interventions work.​

And you can of course also read about Paul Garner and his recovery too...

Hutan, EzzieD, Milo and 4 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's utterly disgusting that an organization that supports vaccines refuses to take post-infectious disease seriously.

Mij, EzzieD, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Treatment for medical PTSD ?

Peter Trewhitt, DokaGirl and Sean like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So she knows how to apply rigour, she just decided not to bother with it here by looking at the "evidence" her conclusions rely on.

Hutan, EzzieD, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yet again we see someone pretending to be taking a serious scientific approach to ME/CFS falling into the trap of prioritising personal interpretation of their own experience over all the research that shows no objective benefits from psych approaches to treating it. Alongside rolling out all the old unevidenced justifications.
    Giving Garner the last word says it all really.

Mithriel, merylg, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  6. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anecdata, recycled militant activist tropes, no discussion of how this research has been discredited. reprogramming the mind, and Garner. Really tough to cram all this in one article, but they did it.

Hutan, bobbler, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He has some very muddled ideas. There are indeed autonomic reflexes - this isn't one of them. Perhaps review the concept of the somatic reflex arc?

<Waves in S4ME> "Well hello there!"

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    Mithriel, Hutan, bobbler and 11 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, some kind of "global alliance for vaccines" is spewing out ignorant pseudoscientific disinformation about an issue that relates, in some way, to vaccines. But also just the fact that they do at all is absurd on its own. That's just great.

What is it with the health care industry that makes it produce so much disinformation, blatant lies at times, then go ahead and whine about how there's so much misinformation out there? I've never seen anything so dependent on being credible working harder to prove they don't deserve any. It's seriously excessive.

merylg, bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.