1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article : The Trump Administration Wants to Snoop on Disabled Americans

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Arnie Pye, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Article continues here :

https://medium.com/s/story/the-trum...s-to-snoop-on-disabled-americans-f2fcaae78ad3

What is described in this article is, I think, already familiar to disabled people in the UK. There has been an assumption for years amongst the Powers That Be in the UK that everyone claiming any form of social security payments is a fraud, despite there being very little evidence of fraud in reality.

Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39980793

I don't know how many members are from the US and whether this is even relevant to those that there are, but thought I'd pass it on.

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps there should be also the capacity to snoop on millionnaires, especially a law ensuring their tax returns are made public.

3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But they donate money to politicians to do their bidding.
    This is just yet another veiled attempt to kick everyone off public assistance.

4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye and ladycatlover like this.
  5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If disabled people widely stop participating in social media, this is also a way to shut down our freedom of speech and freedom of assembly.

We may need to create an online privacy and anonymity thread should this scheme come to pass.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree but when your in territory occupied by the enemy you have to choose your moves very carefully :(
    Thats one reason why they packed the supreme court, the right to free speech won't prevail when they choose to interpret their own laws to benefit their rich donors over the disabled poor.
    If you tried to sue under freedom of speech to be disabled and use social media without government surveillance and sanction you might be correct but you would definitely lose today

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  7. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frankly it seems like the best solution for the vast majority of people's ideological preferences is free health care and universal basic income. The safety net everybody wants with the greatest bureaucratic simplicity and least state monitoring.

8. Arnie Pye

Unfortunately, there are plenty of idiots in the UK who want to get rid of the NHS. And I don't think they are all rich either. They are probably people who have been healthy all their lives and have never had to worry about the cost of healthcare.

Sadly, the NHS is collapsing through lack of funding and lack of medical staff. When Brexit goes through, and then a trade deal with the Americans goes through, the Americans will muscle in on the NHS and we'll have a system just like the American one. Of all the healthcare systems in the world the UK could have copied, our government appears keen to copy the most expensive, most inefficient, most unfair, and most complicated one in the world, presumably because the people who can afford to invest in healthcare companies will make the most profit.

9. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope your government (or lack of) doesn't adopt our hodge-podge system of healthcare. But troubling to me is how institutional psychiatrists were able, in the NHS, to pull a Crowley, a Sharp, etc. Makes me worried about NHS over here in the USA.

Slight change of subject: is there a chance for a quick no-Brexit referendum, or am still dreaming.

Annamaria and Little Bluestem like this.
  10. Arnie Pye

Annamaria, shak8 and TiredSam like this.
  11. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Instead of snooping on disabled people, they should spend the money to provide benefits to more disabled people.