Article: The hidden links between mental disorders

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, May 10, 2020.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I don't know of course, but adrenal insufficiency comes to mind.

There could be as of yet undiscovered ways for hormonal secretions to be inadequate in response to stress. That might produce an illness where the person doesn't handle stress well and tries to manage this by avoiding stressful situations. That could look like a kind of depression with anxiety and avoidance behaviour.

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reduced stress tolerance could also be part of the body's response to illness, as a way of encouraging risk averse behaviour at a time when any additional problem could be disastrous.

Sarah94 likes this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh? It's basically the foundation of psychosomatics, or something like it. That's what pinning chronic illnesses on the mad speed of modern life means, or whatever many forms that argument takes. It's explicit in neurasthenia. I'm not sure I've ever seen a psychosomatic model that did not implicitly argue that and most basically agree with the neurasthenia model, they just know it's too outdated to use anymore.

Sarah94, Arnie Pye and MEMarge like this.
  4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes that's what happened to me

spinoza577 likes this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neurasthenia was believed to be caused by the fast pace of modern life - in the 1800s! There was a paper recently that claimed that neurasthenia was still a good diagnosis for today.

There was an article in the New Scientist that must be from this same research. It spoke about a large genetics study showing certain SNPs were more common in mental disease but none of them were more common for any specific disease.

I was willing to believe them until they were quoted as saying that this meant that a single treatment, CBT, would be successful at treating them all...

It was in the issue dated 25th January.