1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article : The Boy Was Feverish, With a Swollen Testicle. What Could He Possibly Have?

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by Arnie Pye, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this article would be of interest since the problem being discussed caused long-lasting post-viral fatigue. I was surprised by the diagnosis - it was something that I've never come across personally, although I have heard of it.

Link : https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/...len-testicle-what-could-he-possibly-have.html

Article continues :
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/...len-testicle-what-could-he-possibly-have.html

2. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must say this really seems to be a story of abysmal parenting.

Arnie Pye, ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, they did take him to emergency doctors several times and he took the suggested medications. If a doctor assures a parent their child has 'just a virus' it's hard to know what else you can do.

AndyPandy, rvallee, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  4. James Morris-Lent

Get him home for God's sake. At least one parent can forgo the European vacation for a year.

5. Trish

OK, I take your point about getting him home. I probably would have done that. But it's not clear from the article how much he was telling his parents about his symptoms except when they completely stopped him in his tracks. And it fluctuated, so they probably thought it was getting better whenever the symptoms abated. If all the doctors were assuring them it was just a virus, they had no reason to do more than let him rest in bed.

6. James Morris-Lent

I should say that we all know it can be confusing as to what to do when faced with a mysterious illness and doctors giving unconvincing runaround. And it's always easier to be self-righteous Monday Morning Quarterback.

I'm going to stick to the guns here, though. It sounds like they knew enough. You can't hedge prestigious music camp/international vacation with your child's health. This should be common sense.

7. Trish

I agree with all that, @James Morris-Lent. But when all a 16 year old tells his parents is he has a rash, and the infirmary doctor has told him it's a virus and given him treatment, and he's desperate to stay at the camp he'd looked forward to for so long, I'm guessing he made light of the symptoms so he could stay.

It was at the stage of then setting off for Europe despite the lad being in a lot of pain and clearly unwell, I would agree - forgo Europe and take him home.

But again - maybe he hid his symptoms until they were already in Europe, so going home seemed pointless when he could rest and see doctors if needed just as well in Europe as he could at home. You're not going to drag a sick kid out of bed to fly him half way across the world, when the doctor assures you it's just a virus that will go away with a few days rest. And no airline is going to allow a kid too sick to get out of bed with something possibly contagious to get on the plane anyway.

I promise to say no more on the subject!

8. James Morris-Lent

Certainly we have less-than-perfect information. If only life came with the Video Assistant Referees they've been rolling out in soccer all over the world. Then we could all disagree with the proper facts at hand!

9. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems clear that he had a bunch of bad medical practitioners. [I refuse to call the doctors.]

Arnie Pye likes this.