1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Remote CBT service launched for NHS patients with mild to moderate mental health issues Dec 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ieso Digital Health will provide online appointments through its online ThinkWell platform
    full article here
    https://www.mobihealthnews.com/news...s-patients-mild-moderate-mental-health-issues
    hmm where's the evidence for this?

Sean, Esther12, Simbindi and 2 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Evidence? Just look at the accounts. They will show the payments going out.

JemPD, Sean, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wanted to say something but it was too harsh even for my high tolerance.

I suppose this might be better than nothing for some but I find it disturbing that things have reached this level. If you've got an epidemic of depression and despair, you don't need mass psychotherapy made cheaper by technology, you need to improve people's living conditions, their opportunities in life and ensure fairness.

DigitalDrifter, JemPD, inox and 19 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's the idea. Take people who are already likely to be isolated and inward looking and replace the potential therapeutic value of simple human contact ( assuming the therapist isn't a complete buffoon - absolutely no guarantees there) and replace with an app.

In my view it's dismissive and diminishing of people's problems. You're nothing special, just do this course provided by the app. You don't even warrant or deserve the attention & time of another human being. Even a minimally trained IAPT one.

Cruel one size fits none strategy as far as I can see. Another step in dismantling an already poor mental health service. Hope Sir Simon is proud. He & his pals have laid the foundations for this.

Snow Leopard, JemPD, Sarah94 and 13 others like this.
  5. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Start with some personal problems and perhaps mental illness.
    Government remedy: Add "remote", "computer" and "algorithm".
    When the results become "problematic", the wonderful caring government will respond with more surveillance, because Big Brother loves you.
    Do not object; how could you not appreciate that personal interaction with an app hastily written by a coding shop in Hyderabad?

6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ThinkWell. They even gave it an obvious Orwellian name. Unabashed nonsense.

Needs glaring stadium lights shone on this for maximum exposure.

People with poor mental health are another group that will find it difficult to find the energy to protest.

Also, technology is only secure until it's not. Ask hospitals who've paid ransoms when their data is hacked.

Snow Leopard, JemPD, inox and 4 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Don't you just love how the psycho-social advocates completely avoid dealing with this aspect, despite it being a central and critical part of their model.

They are charlatans.

JemPD, Sarah94, Chezboo and 8 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You'd also think they'd be interested in the impact of disease discrimination, how it causes ostracization and denial of basic support, negatively affecting outcomes to a measurable horribly low quality of life and decreased life expectancy. Especially given how much precedent there is, almost all of it coming from their own ranks. I can't think of a more relevant intersection of biology/physiology, psychology and sociology than a highly disabled patient population whose life is made significantly worse by systemic disease denial. It's smack in the middle of every concept they pretend to care about.

Well, BPS folks kind of are interested in that, they create that and perpetuate it, then offer snake oil as a solution. So I guess that prevents them from looking at it sincerely but you'd think given the words they use to describe that they would be concerned with those things. Nope, not even a bit, other than making it all worse of course. Weird.

It all reminds me of the first scene in Team America: World Police, where they leave downtown Paris a cratering mess of destruction and mayhem, in order to prevent terrorists from leaving downtown Paris a cratering mess of destruction.

"If we didn't intervene, things would have gone horribly wrong. They still ended up horribly wrong, but send trophies anyway. We'll send you a bill."
    [​IMG]