1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article on replication crisis

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by JohnTheJack, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thats the thing a debate on whether or not to reproduce fraud would be a fiasco. Also that would stimulate great "revelations" and the methods used and the biases and broken protocols would be argued greatly. This benefits us, mainstream scientists arguing en masse whether or not to commit fraud would make PACE untenable. Today its a small group arguing the science, if it became a huge public spectacle we would win. And thats what we want i assume.

It also used oxford criteria and rewrote improvement criteria and boasted in newsletters to influence patients and doctors pressured patients to claim improvement. Let that become part of the very huge public spectacle

I understand the urge to stay below the radar but thats not working. So lets go big and get results. Fortune favours the bold.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Just to clarify: they proposed that CBT and GET are effective. They conducted small, poor trials and found evidence to support their claim. They then attempted to replicate those findings in a bigger trial and failed. There is no need for further replication. Conducting another large trial on CBT-GET to try to see if the null finding in PACE is replicated is a waste of time and money. As far as the science is concerned we need to move on.

As far as the politics etc, the making sure the null finding is accepted, the recognition that their small crap trials did not replicate and there is no evidence for their claims, all that still needs to be done. But that's a different problem.

Robert 1973, inox, James and 3 others like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't disagree

All roads lead to Rome, If it were "replicated" which would became a fiasco it would put huge public pressure on this issue. The Lancet does not care about facts or reality otherwise it would already be gone. Whether its because the leader has an irrational belief in CBT/GET, they are afraid of more bad press (perhaps from the Wakefield fiasco) or any other reason it really doesn't matter.

Obviously no one is interested in replicating PACE and i'll bet money its not going to happen. That said if there was an avenue to suggest studies to be replicated i would nominate it.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They may not be replicating PACE, but terrible studies like Magenta and Fitnet rumble on. With just as bad or worse methodology to PACE.

Amw66, Robert 1973, James and 4 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Replication failures in psychology not due to differences in study populations
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07474-y

andypants likes this.