1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article in Vogue: 'Re-Entry syndrome'

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anxious About ‘Re-Entering’ The World? You’re Not Alone. This Advice Will Make It Easier
    https://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/article/re-entry-syndrome

eta:
    bit of info; CP is the current president of the International Society of Psychoneuroendocrinology ( ispne.net)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Simbindi, sebaaa, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aah, Kings College, just keeps on giving. I can't say I have ever heard of re entry syndrome or reverse culture shock.

3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find these sorts of articles a bit weird.

If people are supposed to be susceptible to a mass hysteria, because we are all so very suggestible and tend to copy any problem we see, why then would anyone suggest something like re-entry syndrome at all?

Surely it would be better not to suggest this sort of problem?

Unless of course it is intended as a way of drumming up more business?

Note: I’m not denying that some folk will find it hard to pick up the pieces of their life again. It is likely to be tough for a number of reasons. Just I don’t see the point of an article like this.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I see no point in calling the multiple and varied different ways people might have difficulty restarting life a 'syndrome'. Why medicalise varied life experiences and normal human reactions to difficult phases in life.

Philipp, Wits_End, Michelle and 23 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I'll look forward to experiencing that one day then. Not likely to be for a while, or at least not until Carmine Pariante and his Kings' College colleagues get out of the f. way.

Michelle, anniekim, EzzieD and 18 others like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone care to define ‘Kings College’ syndrome?

[added - given we see localised out breaks and spreading to new associated locations is it a form of mass hysteria]

Michelle, EzzieD, JemPD and 14 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone else does not relate to this one bit? Now or my former healthy self. People are way more resilient than these snake oil peddlers make them out to be. We get it, you have something to sell, but this is completely irresponsible, you can't pathologize every damn thing under the sun. If anything most people are probably pretty damn optimistic about it, just like that first day after a bout of a flu-like illness, emerging free from a bad place, eager to leave it all behind.

Then of course there's the fact that most people never took this seriously in the first place, were much more annoyed than afraid. But, you know, details, details. Never get facts get in a way of a good narrative, especially one that can guarantee the easiest, safest lifetime employment, never having to deliver a damn thing, zero accountability or oversight.

EzzieD, JemPD, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Never heard of cabin syndrome - ever

i have heard of cabin fever - you know, the one where you get so cheesed off with being inside the same four walls

Another scam - how do these people get public funds to churn out such utter tripe

9. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Reverse culture shock is a term widely used in the global expatriate community. Having lived in seven different countries in my life, and had extended spells in ‘Home’ (passport) countries, I Have experienced it. Basically it means to me to not expect plain sailing when I land back in what was my home country after an extended period living overseas, usually for years, not months. Where you have grown as a person and thus just see things differently. Or basics of life are so different it’s disorienting. Eg Walmart vs my nearest supermarket which I can walk to and while perfectly adequate, is a fraction of the size, or the even smaller crammed supermarkets in a third world mega city where I lived previously.

But I never heard it psychologised before. You just make the adjustments and move back into life in the new setting, and are grateful for certain amenities while missing other aspects of life in the overseas posting. Global nomads do tend to be highly adaptable and resilient as a result.

if someone is terrified to go out that is likely a separate issue, or a range of issues, not related just to emerging from lockdown or cabins.

Michelle, Anna H, Mithriel and 18 others like this.
  10. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would take me all of two minutes to 're-enter.'

11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Anxious About ‘Re-Entering’ The World? You’re Not Alone. This Advice Will Make It Easier"

Or, you could just watch the last act of "Cast Away" (2000).

JemPD, MEMarge, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hell I would be dancing into it. Basically doing a proper zoomy, if I was healthy that is. As wisely said above, this is basically a reverse cabin fever. Getting out of the cabin is definitely all good. It's what people stuck in the cabin are looking forward to. The idea that it could be a bad thing is so absurd I can't even process the disconnect from reality.

Seriously BPS psychology is basically reverse psychology: the exact opposite of actual human behavior. I don't get it, it's so blatantly mediocre and wrong and people fall over themselves gushing about how revolutionary it is. After decades of revolutions in circles, you can cover a lot of distance while staying in the same position. It's all familiar ground, never any surprises, nobody ever expects it to deliver anything so you can just bullshit your entire career and actually get awards. It's an incredible microcosm of mutual mediocrity.

13. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the pandamic left people, e.g. in high impact areas like Bergamo, traumatized and they have trouble adjusting - isn't that "ptsd" or "adjustment disorder"?

When I could go outside again after a long, severe crash, I do remeber feeling very surreal at first. I bought sunflowers on the market feeling like everything was "staged", I sat in a restaurant and didn't remeber how much distance is too much or not enough to keep to other people. My surreal sound & light & people deprived one room life had become normal and then normalcy felt surreal to me.

I automatically did what they recommended in the article, I expanded my experience and exposed myself to more & different social interactions. When my health could handle it, not in a GET kind of way.

The surrealness faded soon.

Gaining back freedom is so much easier than losing it, I think and that might also be the case for many people in the Post Covid society.

For those who don't I hope psychology will have more to offer than funny new labels.

Philipp, Michelle, Anna H and 12 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a similar but better framed article from May in ABC (Australia)

Anxious about going back to normal? It's called 'reverse culture shock'
    https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/prog...ictions-easing-reverse-culture-shock/12221534

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hang on a minute - are we sure anyone should be going back to normal.
    I see precious little evidence of us being 'over the hump'.

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I'm anxious about my company (following government guidelines!) telling people that our work is now Covid-safe, and should be returning to work soon, albeit with split shifts to facilitate social distancing.

People like me fall down the cracks, because no specific health risk condition (not sure about high blood pressure, seems to be mixed messages on that), but the last two times I had flu (1.5 and 2.5 years ago) I reacted much worse than ever previously, with very heavy chesty cough that lasted two months or so each time, and the last time the nurse said she could detect fluid in one part of a lung. Just feels like if normal flu affected me like that, then covid could be much worse. Given I've been working perfectly effectively (probably more so) from home these past months, I find it objectionable that official guidance presumes a one-size-fits-all approach unless you fit neatly into one of the pre-allocated slots.

Not been to shops for months until recently, and even recently only a few times, in and out.

I also find it objectionable that will not be required to wear masks at work, as they insist the two metre rule will suffice (again following our government's guidelines). I feel that statistically there will inevitably be times when that must fail. Our German colleagues have to wear masks any time they are away from their desks.

I appreciate that from a wider perspective there is a complex balance of risks involved, and that some people will be at the less favourable end of that. But I think it is very wrong for the government to just issue a blanket diktat. In fairness my departmental boss is very aware and understanding of my concerns, so will have to see how things pan out. On holiday at moment so will see how things are in a week's time.

17. Trish

If necessary @Barry, is this worth taking up with whoever the company provides to deal with indivual Occupational heath assessments?

18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If necessary that would be a possibility Trish, thank you. But I'm hoping it won't come to that. But it annoys me because even if I am able to sort my own personal situation out, there will likely be others in the company less able to do so, as well as the wider issue for others around the whole country.

19. Trish

I agree Barry. My son is fortunate that he can work from home and every indication so far is that this is expected to continue for some months. He's now even gone to the extent of dealing with an unsatisfactory accommodation situation for himself and his partner by them moving 200 miles away for a 6 month rental starting now!

20. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the subject of returning to work and government advice; I have 2 siblings that work for the UK government - one for the Ministry of Justice in the U.K. and the other for the Foreign Office in the Far East. Neither of them ( or their colleagues) are being told to return to working in the office, and are not expected to any time soon. You can make of that what you want, @Barry!

(I’m happy that’s so for both of them as one would need to commute on public transport into and across London, and the other is in a country with limited healthcare provision.)

ladycatlover, Trish and Barry like this.