1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article in French Newspaper «J'écris ma souffrance pour affirmer que je suis vivant malgré tout»

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Cheshire, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

For the first time in France, there is an opinion piece written by a PwME in a mainstream newspaper, Le Figaro (conservative), with not an inch of psychobabble in it!

I quite disagree with the author on one point: he is presenting an idealistic picture of what's happening in the UK and US, and France is pictured as an exception, which unfortunately is far from reality.

Google translate
    French article

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The revolution spreads.

3. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The same thing happens in Denmark. Patients talking about effective treatment available in countries from everywhere from Belgium to Poland.. Like ehm.. What effective treatment?

I mean I hate to be a negative nancy, but the truth is that the ME/CFS situation is borderline catastrophical in every country in the world. Describing the situation of ME/CFS in other countries as more ideal than they are just make us appear like wackos.

On the article. Great to see at least some progress being made in France with this piece. I'm just suprised at how little we hear about the ME/CFS situation in the country, because from what I know of France I would guess the situation to be absolutely horrible.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Valentijn, TrixieStix, Trish and 7 others like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a well written and vibrant plea. - Why this absurdity of systematically giving non-medial excuses to patients' sufferings? Why this absurd role reversal where patients must explain to doctors their condition? Since when does uncertainty regarding physiopathology become an obstacle to receiving decent care? Etc.

(referring to Camus to bring out how all this is absurd and revolting is I think the best use anyone ever made of Camus's work...)

zzz, Trish, Allele and 6 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Touché, one might say.

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having spent a lot of time in online patient communities, I have seen this phenomenon repeatedly. Patients tend to think that in some other country, there is better medical care for their problem.

Hutan, MeSci, TrixieStix and 5 others like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

(says something like The French health system is the most efficient and most widely encompassing on the planet).

Is that true, French folks? Or only true if you compare the French system to the appalling US one?

8. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m French from Canada, but I am a member of a few french support groups and I see no evidence of this whatsoever. From my canadian point of view, there is even more abuse and neglect for PWME in France than Canada and US. French doctors seem to be more globally patronizing and deeply know-it-all and arrogant than their north american counterparts. Which makes me think that they wouldn’t be better for “plain” health care, but I could be wrong.

zzz, ScottTriGuy, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  9. Cheshire

There are two issues here: one is the structure of the health care and the second is that of health professionals.

The design of the French health care is IMO a good compromise between private and public. Nearly all GPs are independent workers, you pay them, and you are then reimbursed (70% of the consultation price and 100% for the poorest) by the social security system. Lots of GPs are fed up of working alone so more and more are organizing collective practices (which can be entirely organized by the GPs; or by a town, a charity...) You can choose your GP without any restriction.

Public hospitals are the propriety of local organizations (one town or several towns). There are also many private hospitals (generally smaller than public hospitals) and you can choose where you want to go, you'll be reimbursed whether it is a private (except for some private hospitals which choose to add extra charges) or a public hospital.

So there's nothing like the monolithic NHS in France. Some public hospitals are really good; some are awful. Some private hospitals are very innovative and offer a better service than public ones, some are just here to make money, some are just badly handled. There are of course downsides to the system, but it would be complicated to explain.

In terms of the care you receive for "recognized" pathology, it really depends on the doctor you'll meet. But generally, I think it is good. And quick. The proof being that there have always been lots of UK patients coming to France for medical tourism, because delays where way shorter than in the UK. And I've spoken to some British living in France, and they said the system here was better than the NHS. (As a Brit living in France, what do you think @Marco ?).

This system has been deteriorating these last years, and there are more and more problems, amongst them a big political one.

On the side of doctors themselves now.

I think we are coming from a very, very patronizing, hierarchical and sexist tradition. Things have been changing since the 1960’s, patients are more and more heard by the system, but France has certainly not been a leader in that movement. And many doctors are still discriminating female, obese, foreign patients. Nonetheless from what I read, that is the case in many countries. Is France worst? Difficult to tell. I, personally, have met both great doctors and horrible ones. (fifty fifty)

For a comparison with Canada, @Dechi , I can just repeat what I’ve read: patients from Canada amazed by the speed of care in France, patients from France appalled by the slowness of care in Canada. But generally, doctors seem to have a reputation of being way more progressive in Canada.

The care of PwME is another question, as the disease is not at all recognized here, there are certainly less doctors that are knowledgeable than in the UK and US. ME is treated as an undifferentiated somatization disorder.

Edit: overall, from what I've been reading about different health care systems, appart from really bad ones, they all have their pros and cons. The US one is really bad for poor people, but there seems to be more freedom which allowed doctors to start taking care of PwME, which was really impossible in other parts of the world. And medical research in the US (well, untill the current era) has always been leading.

But everyone seems to think their system is the best of the world!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2020
    Hutan, Valentijn, Sly Saint and 11 others like this.
  10. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Thanks, @Cheshire, its interesting to compare. The New Zealand system is certainly NOT one of the best in the world - we're too small and poor - but we do seem to do quite well for our budget. The Australian one is much better imo, great care there, and good access for all. Aussies who whine about it haven't experienced some other systems the world has to offer.

I hear Canada is pretty good.

Individual care in the US is terrific if you can afford it, but not everyone is covered, and medical costs are bleeding everyone dry.

Hutan, Trish and Cheshire like this.
  11. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's pretty much my experience as well and in comparison to the NHS there really is no comparison (obviously the NHS compares unfavourably and this was based on my experience 12 plus years ago - I'm sure it hasn't improved).

One thing I have noticed is that French doctor's aren't big on discussions with patients - they are the experts and you do what you're told. Maybe it's the same net result under the NHS and they just give the impression that they're listening?

Woolie, Trish and Cheshire like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Just sent this to my friend who is French. Merci bien

13. NelliePledge

Maybe the emphasis on Anglo Saxon countries doing more is deliberately there to pique the interest of the Gaullist audience the Anglo Saxons doing better than us! we can’t have that.

Woolie, Chris, TiredSam and 4 others like this.
  14. Cheshire

Well, in term of ME research, that is really true, as there is no research in France, appart from a handfull of small studies..

Woolie and petrichor like this.
  15. NelliePledge

I saw some people in Marseille had published a study recently but yes France seems to have nothing much going on - at least that’s better than having a lot of BPS rubbish going on.

Hutan, Woolie, TiredSam and 1 other person like this.
  16. Cheshire

Well, at least France is not producing and exporting a massive amount of psych bullshit on ME (our old guard psychoanalists are too occupied with their own Scheiße on autism), but patients receive their fair lot of psychological weird theories...

17. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Cheshire Canadians certainly don’t think their system is the best in the world. And even less in Quebec.

Thanks for the lengthy explanation about the different systems.

Hutan, Woolie, Chris and 2 others like this.
  18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Side question: are there any articles like this in the Italian media?

petrichor likes this.
  19. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Yes, obviously that's bullshit, but it can be useful bullshit. It makes it look as though the answer is obvious to the rest of the world, and therefore the French are definitely wrong about ME/CFS and they should be embarrassed to be so backwards. Basically it's peer pressure, on an international scale.

My general observation is that national health care systems are great 99% of the time. Unfortunately they're good enough that there isn't much of a concept of a private market to pick up people who need treatment not on offer from the national system. So if you end up with one of the diseases where a national system isn't willing or able to treat it, there can be a complete lack of alternatives. It's a bit of an all-or-nothing situation - either you get great care for a common and well-understood medical problem, or you get none at all.

ScottTriGuy, Woolie, Skycloud and 3 others like this.