1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Finding Your Energy Envelope: Long COVID Patients Urged to 'Pace' Themselves Back to Health

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've only skimmed this, it's quite long and a mixed bag of stuff on 'pacing' (pacing up) and the energy envelope, not sure about the contents of one link on pacing strategies.

The person being interviewed (Julie Hunter) "still lives with chronic health issues triggered by COVID-19, but says she no longer experiences PESE, nor meets the diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS ."

https://goodmenproject.com/featured...ents-urged-to-pace-themselves-back-to-health/

(I did find this bit interesting "But when is it safe to incorporate more movement? Hunter says that for her the signs were twofold. First, she says she found that exclusively resting was beginning to make her feel worse, rather than better. Second, Hunter says she began to “feel lighter.” “[Patients] should feel like a weighted blanket was lifted off them. They should feel more ease in how they walk around a room.”)

Sean, Wits_End, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's written by someone who experienced PEM and repeats what patients and knowledgeable doctors say about pacing. The only muddled part was when she said that you're expected to be able to increase your energy envelope when you're pacing. Some people can do more if they pace, but not everyone.

ahimsa, EndME, Sean and 4 others like this.