1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article : Facebook halts medical data sharing plan

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Arnie Pye, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is anyone who uses Facebook aware this was even being considered? I bet you weren't!

Link for rest of article : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43668607

Once Fb has managed to sweep its privacy issues under the carpet I'm sure they will get right back to this idea.

zzz, Lidia, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  2. Pen2

Pen2 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know that Facebook reaches alot of people but I don't trust it anymore. I'm not sure what to think about this.

Patient confidentiality is supposed to be a huge criteria! When I was working in the health field, we were not aloud to discuss any patients outside of the hospital. Only in our office, door closed to give report.

Facebook is not private. I don't think it ever will be. What do you all think? Do you want to share yourself on Facebook?
    I'm curious.

I think there has to be a better way.
    Did I read this right? :sick::laugh: I may have gotten the wrong impression. You know, Mush brain....o_O

3. Jan

Jan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use facebook, but was concerned right from the beginning and used a false name, I'm so glad I did now.

zzz, petrichor, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  4. aaron_c

aaron_c Established Member

ME stuff is some of the only stuff I share on FB--precisely because it does reach people. But I'm definitely concerned with what they might do with that information. I want to have control over medical information (and, actually, all other information I share on FB).

In my opinion facebook has become a sort of public utility. Actually, they used to describe their aspirations this way before they presumably figured out the regulatory implications. It's a public space where people get together to talk, or its the phone lines that allow people to talk to one another without driving over to where they live. And because everyone is part of the same network, it's very very difficult for other networks to take its place--google even tried a few years ago and failed. So it has become, in some ways, a monopoly--but an essential monopoly, a natural monopoly if you will. What do we do with natural monopolies like electricity service or water service? We regulate them as utilities.

Woolie and Yessica like this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Me too, but I worry that they may still "know" me, due to the few people that I'm friends with, the email address I provided at sign-up, and the demographics it has of me by default (my country, IP address, etc.)

Invisible Woman, Jan and Yessica like this.
  6. Frogger

Frogger Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish we could opt out of these types of data stores, but alas our data is out there.

Jan, Skycloud and Yessica like this.
  7. Jan

Jan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're right, but it is still satisfying that fb continually tries to get my location and the year I was born out of me, so I'm one up on that score!

Invisible Woman likes this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why not just give them a fake location and a fake date of birth?

Yessica and Invisible Woman like this.
  9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I've never given location or age, but they know your location anyway through your IP address.

Jan, Invisible Woman and Yessica like this.
  10. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If people in general are worried about what Faceache know about them there are ways to find out.

I believe in your personal settings there is a section on Ads or something similar. It lists assumptions from your activity. Sorry If I'm not being very accurate, I can dig out an example later if requested.

One thing I know it will probably know:

• everybody in your contact list
    • their phone number
    • your location
    • your location at various points during the day
    • what sites you visit
    • your activity on other sites
    • how often you visit them
    • who you message
    • when you message
    • links between your, your contacts, and shared third parties
    • your marital status
    • your political opinions
    • what income bracket you are in
    • who you vote for
    • your health status
    probably what it knows from other means:
    • what you talk about
    • what you purchase
    • how much you purchase
    • when you purchase

Yessica, Jan, Invisible Woman and 4 others like this.
  11. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica and Invisible Woman like this.