1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article and Documentary BBC: Long Covid: Early findings bring hope for diagnostic tests

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Sly Saint, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the quote box in post 1 of this thread :

But she warned that long Covid was a "complex condition", saying it was important to continue to research the other causal factors so all different types of post-Covid syndrome could be diagnosed and treated.

I hate seeing any medical condition described as "complex". It seems to me to be a way for doctors to deceive patients into believing they will be taken seriously. What it really appears to mean in practice is that the doctor thinks the condition is a mental illness, and the only thing the patient is likely to receive is a prescription for anti-depressants and a dismissal making it clear the doctor isn't going to investigate further.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well the parroting is there but not sure about the wooden leg

3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Program much better than feared. No mention of PG.

Very clear that she is far from recovered.

Lucibee, Kitty, Sarah94 and 12 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The continued pretense that this is all new is getting beyond frustrating. It's blatantly false and maintained only because admitting otherwise means revealing decades of failure. The omerta is too obvious.

But the problem remains of how can journalists cover this and inform the public when medicine is all over the place with it, still largely in denial and pushing something closer to medical theology. I can barely imagine how we'd deal with climate change if climate scientists were that confused, and we are still having massive difficulties with it. Except there aren't trillions in investments on the way, this is all purely ideological.

It appears to have been better than expected but still keeps with the state of denial. There is no more future for long haulers than there is for us as long as this remains, the obstacle is the same. And as time goes by it only makes medical expertise that much less credible, unable to see the bloody obvious again and again.

Medfeb, Mithriel, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a link for the whole program? I just saw the text version.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For some reason, I can't get past the sign-in on the BBC website. This is despite being permanently signed-in on the BBC, as I found last night when checking the footie score.

Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So true. Any language such as complex, multifactorial etc is a HUGE red flag. It means “needs psych referral”.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle, rvallee, Mij and 9 others like this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suppose it all depends on what is meant by "new" and "disease". The very obvious vocal damage looks new for typical ME, but everything else looked the same. Is this sufficient distinction to create a new disease? And should that be "illness" anyway?

It may all just be about words.

Sid, MEMarge, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  11. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I asked/suggested an alternative Control Group:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1414861100059963394

12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

:rofl:

I'm pinching that remark and shall be passing it off as my own often.

rainy, Hutan, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  13. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

From the article:

Is it possible to measure accurately how my brain anticipates and monitors what I do?

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/MEResearchUK/posts/4491623754216180

Snow Leopard, Kitty, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You just have to Google "PEM" and the only hits you get are from the ME community and research. And yet they continue to describe PEM and recommend pacing as though they figured it out on their own.

16. TiredSam

Well I've just watched the panorama program. Galling in the extreme to hear patients and experts unanimously calling it a new illness. The virus guy will be surprised if most people don't recover within a couple of years (based on what he knows about other post viral conditions), and expects to have a diagnostic test within 6 months. He is by his own admission "famously optimistic". The brain guy assures us that he expects most people will return to normal unless they have lasting organ damage.

So what am I supposed to think? Lots of new patients basically in their first year of ME, thinking and feeling as we all did - how long will this last, will I ever get better, still sometimes pushing through and trying to get back to normal, and feeling put out that those who see them when they are well enough to cycle or go to the shops don't understand how ill they are. Over optimistic "experts" smiling reassuringly at the camera offering hope based on god-knows-what. 134 million (is that a large number?) spent on long covid centres where you can have an appointment with baffled but well-meaning staff, have a range of tests which come back normal, and see a physiotherapist.

The central patient in this documentary works for the BBC. The panorama documentary was made by the BBC. The experts study viruses and the brain. And not one of them have ever heard of ME? This is a baffling new illness? I am supposed to watch this and feel what exactly? Where were our prime-time documentaries? Who's bothered watching us for the last 4 decades? Sadly the only way for us to make real progress is if enough people get ME for it to become un-ignorable, unsweepable under the carpet, when everyone knows someone with it and enough important people and health staff have it. The only way to steamroll the political battle out of the way is when enough people have it that everyone knows the BPS narrative and health and government policies based on it are bullshit. Well now it's happening, and it wasn't our choice to do it this way. It's a tragedy that it has to be like this for there to be any realistic hope of a cure in my lifetime. If ME had been taken seriously four decades ago researchers would be ready for long-covid and know where to look instead of starting from scratch with optimism and vague hypotheses. What are people who've had ME for decades supposed to feel now exactly?

I feel a little bit miffed.

17. TiredSam

And another thing ... this probably isn't going to be the last pandemic or the worst one, so they'd better pull their finger out before the next virus comes along, or they'll have millions of long covid sufferers saying "Well if you'd taken us seriously at the time, you wouldn't be in this mess."

obeat, MEMarge, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  18. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you. Someone wrote this on Facebook:

“dr Danny Altmann was a speaker at a longcovid medical webinar recently (which insultingly had sir Simon Wessely as a chair for a session) Dr shepherd, who attended, said whilst discussing ME type issues, none of them referred to ME or acknowledged it as in the same boat. apparently an immunologist , who might have been Professor Altmann I don’t know, just said when asked on overlap with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that that they couldn’t help as they didn’t understand CFS.”

19. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Charles Shepherd is also quoted in a 12.7.2021 article:

Shepherd says: “I would have thought in something like [Altmann’s research] it would be useful to have another control group of people with an overlapping condition like ME/CFS. Then you could test some samples in our biobank to see whether or not they’re producing the same results.”

here:

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/features/long-covid-blood-test/

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

except in many ways they aren't.
    What really irks is that it is obvious that they must have looked at ME/CFS research and literature , most of which (that is of any biomedical use) has been funded by ME patients, and yet there is absolutely no acknowledement or recognition.