1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: 5 Stages Experienced by Those with Chronic Illness

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full article here
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...12/5-stages-experienced-those-chronic-illness

EzzieD, Hutan, Sean and 9 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good article I reckon- I’ve only been knowingly dealing with ME for 4 years so mainly the earlier stages are relevant to me. Some of the struggle around work she described in the denial stage for me came before the diagnosis.
    Bbecause I had prolonged grief about parent’s severe dementia and worked with my counsellor on coping with that I reckon that’s helping me live with my own illness.

Hutan, Yessica, Sean and 7 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect it can be more cycles than stages, especially for those of us with a variable condition.

I have over the last few months had someone help me sort twenty years plus of paperwork, filing and unsorted papers from periods when my health was bad such that post was not even opened. This has effectively meant indirectly reviewing the last twenty years of my health. This has meant reliving the highs and the lows, perhaps with more focus on the lows as that was when there was substantial amounts of unopened post.

Perhaps for me the biggest recurring issue was unrealistic optimism during better periods and an ultimately unhelpful and unfounded belief that any remission would be permanent.

ahimsa, feeb, andypants and 17 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an excellent article. I particularly like how it addresses what is by far the most common reaction and behavior, literally the exact opposite of what the BPS model claims and what Wessely awkwardly, and incompetently, described completely wrong in his illness narratives:
    My impression is that denying physical illness is far more prevalent than the opposite, something to the order of 10x and above. Far from being certain from the start about a precise physiological explanation, the first stage is always denial and pushing through. The reality of chronic illness could not be further from the truth of the caricature required by the BPS model. Most pwME deny, push through and even favor the typical bland advice of the "have you tried yoga?" type all on our own. The PACE model literally could not be further from the truth in that regard.

And this sad reality, millions of times over, brought about by misleading advice from people who made malpractice the basis of their career:
    It's impossible to tell with hindsight, but every last one of my relapses came from pushing through, and it's very likely I would not be fully disabled and this miserable today if I had been given competent advice.

This is important and especially frustrating considering the caricature that BPS promotes of the "sick role", which invents a completely fictitious behavior that only exists with the full validation of medicine, something medical professionals really should understand yet clearly often don't:
    This is also very true about "doctor shopping" and illness-seeking behavior in general. Nobody likes to be in hospitals or clinics if they can avoid it. NOBODY. The list of things people would rather do is almost infinitely long since you can always think of more pleasant things to do, like burning your eyebrows or washing your entire bathroom twice over. People like doctors, but either at a distance or in circumstances in which they actually help, which is definitely not the case with chronic illness.

ahimsa, feeb, andypants and 9 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here. The BPS model literally could not be further from the truth. We hold on to remissions like they are solid ground in the middle of the ocean and believe with all we can that it will all be over soon, deny as long as we possibly can.

6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes to reiterate what rvallee said it took me ten years to finally except that M E was here to stay .also not having access to the internet back then and only poor medical advice I had absolutely no idea that my future would entail nearly twenty years of being housebound . I wonder how many people died from ulcers and other bowel diseases thanks to the unbelievable self righteousness of the pschobabblers.

ahimsa, rvallee, chrisb and 3 others like this.