1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Are cooling mats, vests and jackets any good?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sasha, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do really badly indoors in the hot weather. Dr Google tells me that this may be due to dysautonomia, and I wonder if it's therefore a common thing for PwME.

My sister told me that you can get cooling mats and cooling jackets for dogs and I see you can also get them for people!

Has anyone had any success? I don't want another miserable summer. I already close all the windows and internal shutters on a hot day and have a north-facing room to retreat to but even that often isn't enough.

2. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I have a cooling mat (meant for dogs) and it does help. However, what helps me the most is the Dyson Cool tower fan I bought last year. Love it to bits :inlove:

DokaGirl, bobbler, Sasha and 3 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Similarly I’ve got a meaco air circulator fan which isn’t silent but is barely audible and is very effective.

I also use physio gel packs that I freeze and wrap in a scarf to use against my core or back of head/neck. Usually at night to help sleep under normal warm summer conditions. but when we had the hottest ever day last year I had 2 going during the day as well one I was using another refreezing so I could swap over for a fresh one every couple of hours

ahimsa, DokaGirl, alktipping and 4 others like this.