1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

April 2018 Minutes of the CMRC meeting and latest news

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Cinders66, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The original PAG did publish the list of names of those who agreed to be known. To be a member you had to be broadly supportive of the MEGA project as it was then proposed and then they were selected. Some names I recognised , some i didn't and about a third then left I think. The new role of the PAG is quite different I think and the disappearance of Esther Crawley would make it more palatable for some but people did try to influence from within and felt they couldn't.
    I still personally don't see why immediately the MRC can't put up money for a wide range of research such as what happened in Norway which is seeing us with a fecal transplant clinical trial and some good biomedical research already underway. Not this endless talks and all eggs in one MEGA basket approach and still nothing much useful happening.

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the other hand, it could be the PAG resignations that helped lead to the CMRC changing direction? Having a large chunk of a group show that they'd rather walk away than be part of what is currently happening can be a powerful way of sending a message.

Also, while only using the remnants of the PAG does mean it's currently likely to be really unrepresentative, I wouldn't be too critical of them yet.

3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone think the whole SMC involvement was wierd in the first place, if they're being let go now because of altered definition & independence, what was the original CMRC "terms of reference" and SMC purpose before? are they a media group "for hire", were they involved with the purpose of getting a certain line out there, were they brought in out of recognition that they controlled the science media reporting to try to reeducate them on CFS. Why did the SMC join? Do they usually join such things? out of favour to the MRC , establishment helping establishment, but it certainly didn't seem to be about getting a new narrative of ME out there and aren't they supposed to be an independent organisation? I'd understand if they were invited to conferences but they sat on the board, got involved with the CMRC website I think. Was it a Wessely connection " the SMC can promote what you're doing to make sure the world knows of the uk CMRC research effort" or is that crazy ....

Edit being reflective the SMC might do this type of supportive thing in areas of science , they might work naturally with MRC and the promotion of CFS science might have been a mutual aim , that just never worked because of fundamental SMC prejudices that we're inherently bps. Again transparency and explanation wouldn't go amiss

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Hutan, Skycloud, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. It would be really useful to get more information on this.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course it was.
    There is no doubt about this.
    It's a victory that they have been given the boot.

Personally I wouldn't bother complaining about the wording of letters etc. or even looking for more answers regarding SMCs involvement, it's already all been well documented and now we should take it as a big victory that CMRC has dispensed of their services.

adambeyoncelowe, Sean, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's weird until you read what the SMC actually is - an advertising agency for hire. It offers people the chance to educate the public in the right way to think about their branch of science. And the collection of 'right ways' to think about science makes pretty amusing reading.