1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Application of heart rate variability during blood pressure measurement in patients with somatic symptom disorder, 2020, Huang et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.jocn-journal.com/article/S0967-5868(19)32145-9/fulltext
    Not available via Sci hub at time of posting.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Just from the abstract.
    Somatic symptom disorder - so a group of people with heterogeneous somatic symptoms.
    No healthy controls; no controls with a chronic non-MUS disease.

Looks like the researchers made multiple comparisons and only found a few probably random things correlated. (No indication of the strength of those correlations.)

And they assumed that a tool supposedly measuring depression is actually measuring depression, rather than aspects of a physical illness.

And then they leapt to a conclusion that surely can't be justified on the basis of this one study.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems deceitful to me, unless I've misunderstood something.

Scenario : Patient visits doctor about, say, non-resolving belly pain. Doctor takes patient's blood pressure a few times and decides that the patient is faking it. Patient is dismissed on the basis of a BP measurement with their belly pain unresolved. I can see this will save money, but won't actually cure anybody of anything. What is the point of doctors going to work in the morning if they always do bugger all?

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they performed ROC analysis, why wasn't the sensitivity/specificity reported in the abstract? Seems a bit suspicious.

Sean, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The level of confusion here is frankly excessive. The uncertainty value of those results is essentially infinity.

Just throw dice at this point, no functional difference.

Honestly funding for medical research is completely broken. This has no possible value and is just a jumble of weird beliefs with no coherent sense or reason.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I thought, combined sex AUC = 0.671 to detect "severe SSD", AUC = 0.71 for "depression".

Reproducibility tends to be even lower, meaning this measure (HRV) is quite poor at making these predictions given the evidence in this study.

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hold on a minute I thought focussing on symptoms, catastrophising, health anxiety is supposed to be what keeps us feeling ill. But if the researchers decide it’s a good idea to measure heart rate that’s ok after all.

Invisible Woman, lansbergen and Trish like this.